Find
Notify
Tools

Source for .300 Savage brass
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted
My father in law has a Savage 99 in great condition. He is building me a reloading bench as a belated Christmas/birthday present, and asked if I could load some .300 Savage rounds for him.

I can find the dies everywhere, but have been having a problem finding any brass. Does anyone know a good source for new brass? Or do I have to go with fired factory brass?

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Try here; http://www.grafs.com/product/17470

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you absolutely cannot find brass ....it is quite easy to make up brass for a .300 Savage from the most common .308 Win brass. Lube them up good, size them down and trim to length.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
waveI have a full box factory loaded WW .300 Savage I inherited from somewhere you can have if you pay the postage. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i just bought 100 pcs from midway. they got plenty. and i found out later our new cabelas here has it too and is actually cheaper than midway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
. . . . or, you can usually find some on eBay if you want once-fired brass.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For some reason .300 Savage can be hard to find at times. I understand that the factories only make a single run per year of the less common calibers, and I guess the occassional shortage coincides with this cycle.

I started making my own by reforming Lake City military .308 brass, which seems to be built a little heavier and lasts forever at 99 pressures. If you do this be sure and back your loads off a touch due to the slight reduction in internal volumn.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check Wideners. It's currently on sale & they have plently in stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 SAVAGE BRASS 30 11/5/05
300 SAVAGE RCBS DIES 1
For $5.00 + postage there are yours
I could prably get in $3.85 priority pakage.
James

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeh7mmmag:
300 SAVAGE BRASS 30 11/5/05
300 SAVAGE RCBS DIES 1
For $5.00 + postage there are yours
I could prably get in $3.85 priority pakage.
James

Sounds great! PM sent!

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The remington 700 "Classic" a couple of years ago was
the 300Savage, so Remington made a big bunch of brass
and ammo at the time, it's still available.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by belaw:

I started making my own by reforming Lake City military .308 brass,

I've done that.
The .308 is .144" longer in the case and .0045" thicker in the neck, but it always seems to work out fine, after some trimming, but no neck turning or reaming.

Bart Bobbit says that the 300S is the father of the 7.62x51mm, which would make it the grandfather of the .308.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys! Got some brass and a die set. Now just waiting to get the Savage 99 from my father in law so I can start working up a load.

Only bad thing is that he lives in South Dakota and I live in eastern Iowa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've gone to only 308 brass resized and trimmed for my 300 savage in contender. The brass seems alot stronger than the savage brass and has yet to require trimming with the loads I use. Some brass I've fired 4-5 times.

Plus, I had a friend that had a 308 and did not reload. I got around 500 once fired cases that I reformed and have been using for the past 20 years.

Good shooting,

the 300 savage is a great cartridge.

HL

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote