New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet sizing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I learned something today! In order to find a correct diameter bullet for my 8x51K whose barrel measures .320, I bought a Lee bullet sizer kit. I had never used one of these before and was very skeptical about sizing .323" jacketed bullets down to .320". I was pleasantly surprised that sizing required almost no effort and certainly much less effort than needed to size and lubricate cast bullets. So, kudos to Lee. I might even try sizing .323" bullets down to .318 for my J bore Mauser.

Posts: 476 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use one to size .429 bullets to .423 for practice loads in my 10.75x68.
I wonder if 32 spcl bullets would even need sizing to work in you 8x51?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used on to size .430 300gr to 416 in one pass.

If I did it again I would add a middle size.

But it worked without it.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
.003 is nothing for jacketed bullets. Like, a hair.
Way back in the dark ages before we could get 9.3 bullets, I used to size .375 down to .366; in a die I made, on a Rock Chucker with extended handle. Easy. I used STP for lube.

Posts: 17126 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RGR---why don't you try .321 bullets designed for the .32 Win. Spl.? Could probably use them as is unsized.

Hip

Posts: 1829 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the suggestions to use .32 Special bullets. I'm sure they would work just fine, but I never do things the easy way. I thought I would use a 150-grain bullet in hopes of slightly better performance from the small cartridge. Anyway, the rifle is just a toy. In addition to sizing bullets, cartridge cases will have to be formed and loading data developed from scratch--all satisfying and enjoyable endeavors.

Posts: 476 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a Great attitude!

Enjoy yourself!!! patriot

Hip

Posts: 1829 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Way back in the dark ages before we could get 9.3 bullets, I used to size .375 down to .366; in a die I made, on a Rock Chucker with extended handle. Easy. I used STP for lube.

I do the same now, to size .510” bullets down for my .505 Gibbs, also in a crude die I made…but I use Imperial die sizing wax, works pretty good.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2764 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
.003 is nothing for jacketed bullets. Like, a hair.

Exactly!

I ran tests on bullet diameter.

Having a CNC lathe makes this very easy.

I made bullets that varied in diameter, in the basic .375.

0.370 to 0.380 in 0.001 increments.

As as mentioned above, plus or minus .003 made absolutely no difference.

Smaller ones got loose in the case, larger ones would not chamber!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66998 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Yep easy job. Below is a die I made to take 416 Hornady's down to 411 for my 400 H&H.

Posts: 1459 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We made dies that size .277 caliber bullets down to .264 for a friend who has thousands of .277 bullets and no rifle.

But he has a 6.5x55.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66998 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Is there a bullet sizing die kit that would size .30 cal (.308") jacketed bullets down to 7 mm (.284")?

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would just make one out of two .284 lee dies.

I would take one and polish it out to around 296 and use the the other .284 to finish them.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:
Is there a bullet sizing die kit that would size .30 cal (.308") jacketed bullets down to 7 mm (.284")?

From the old Corbin website.

"BRD-1-S bullet reducing die can reduce a lead or jacketed bullet by up to .006 inches (greater reduction can cause extrusion of the base over the punch, distortion of the bullet, and excess springback of the jacket)".

If you can do it, you can do it. But you might end up with a sub-par product.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote