THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We don't need no stinkin' expander balls!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK, so why the heck would you scrunch that poor case neck (what did it do to you? Emeril would say)down too small, and then DRAG that hunk of metal back up through it and stretch, distort and overwork it?

Wouldn't a proper sized bushing, which squishes the neck down just right (taking into account that the brass springs back)work just fine?

Bushing dies, what I use, are expensive, but I guess a Lee Collett die would do the same thing if you wish?

I think those of us who are like minded should start an organization:

People for the Prevention of Metallic Cartridge Neck Abuse and Distortion! PPMCNAD (Ok, so that's not very catchy, nor does it roll of the tongue...)

We could have a Sizer Button Buy Back Day! I can see all of you lined up, shuffling by a bucket, heads down, tossing a handful of sizer buttons of all shapes, sizes and materials into a bucket. Then we'll get a scluptor to melt them all down and make a tribute to accurate reloading (a bust of Saeed?).

Well?

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
I'm with you so far as bolt action loads go...

Of course you have to full length size semi-auto, and break action single shot load, as well as most pump and lever gun loads to get total reliability.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point Dan. I guess I'm so "bolt action centric" I wasn't thinking about that. I will say that I've been neck sizing pretty successfully form Encore in .308.

R

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only problem with that scenario is the assumption that neck wall thickness is always identical from one case to the other. Some dies do size the cases down excessively in the neck though and better tolerances should be possible to minimize the amount of expansion required to get all cases the identical inside diameter.

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote