New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x64 from 30-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I read in one of the book about Cartridge Conversions that you can form 7x64 from 30-06 brass. Anybody tried this?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just run the 30-06 case into the 7mm die. you get a case that has a small 0.30" semi shoulder at the base of the neck.

What I do is load up a cast bullet jammed into the lands with a light pistol powder and fireform them like that. This makes sure the case head stays firm against the bolt and the case fireforms out laterally to the case walls. Other folk just load them up with a normal load but I think they might run the risk of stretching the case.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Pete said you need a solid headspace , and sometime a 30'06 passed throught the 7x64 FL die it's not enough to produuce a good shoulder , just expand the neck to .338/.35" and size down to 7 x 64 , if not you'll ended with stretched case and in three firings are prone to risky head separations .

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with Daniel's cautioning (which is also reflected in the admonitions of reloading handbooks here). However, I am aware that there are other views; for a diverging Canadian position, see the postings of Dan Belisle e.g.: he feels that reforming .30-06 brass to 8x64 (and, per extensionem, to 7x64) works well for him without the precaution of an auxiliary shoulder.

Totally fine with me, as long as you know about the dimensional differences, and know *what* you are doing and how ;-). Informed consent. *grin* Only those who don't know should abstain...

Carcano

[ 08-27-2003, 18:57: Message edited by: carcano91 ]

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Mike:

The brass to use would be 270 Winchester or 280 Remington, both are 64mm or longer. While 30-06 does work, as some of the guys have said, if you use the longer cases it makes the job a lot easier.

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Roger that, Mike, and it's even easier to make from .280 Rem. cases! Just rum 'em through the fl die, and trim.... [Big Grin]