THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    What volume is one "volumetric grain" of BP ?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What volume is one "volumetric grain" of BP ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
...load is 35 volumetric grains of BP, every BP has a different density, BP equivalents too, so if I know density of BP, a could count a weight but I need to know this volume too . . .

Thank you, Jiri

Posts: 2111 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Weigh the load, and use as is! BP weighs roughly the same as water, so 1 cc of BP weighs @14,5 grains. BP is so low powered a propellant that a grain more or less dont show on a chronograph.
I tested a volume measure once, and set at 100 grains it threw loads from 98-101 grains (weighed)with anything fron 1F to 4F.

[ 01-16-2003, 00:30: Message edited by: The Dane ]

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Ok, I understand volumetric grain could be volume of grain of water, so if BP equivalent has a density for example 0.6 g/cm^3, I will put there 0.6/1*35 so it is 21 grain of BP equivalent, volume will be the same and because it is volume to volume equivalent, it will be ok . . .

Thanks

Jiri

Posts: 2111 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jiri
True black powders weigh and measure (for all practial purposes) the same (grain/grain).
It's the substitute blacks (like Pyrodex) that can get you in trouble with weight. Pyrodex is as bulky (volume) as true black, but weighs less (per volume) so the grain weight is less for the equivalent Pyrodex charge.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner:

This is exactly what I sad, Pyrodex is softer (less density), for example 0.6, black powder is 1 (in metric units g/cm^3), so volumetric load for BP is 35, weight load for pyrodex will be (0.6/1)x35=21 grain . . .