Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted load info 375 H&H for barnes 300 gr
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi
Anyone got a favorite load for their 375 H&H when loading 300 gr barnes banded solids and 300 gr TSX's using W760 or IMR 4350?

THANKS

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I loaded the 300 grain TSX with 75-78 grains of IMR4350 that shot into 1.2-1.5" groups at 100 yards. At 78 grains (slightly compressed) I was getting 2548 fps. With 67.5 grains of IMR4064 it puts the 300 grain TSX into .5" groups

I tried to shoot the 300 grain banded solids but I couldn't get then to group at <2". They also would not shoot near the point of aim of any my other loads.

I just bought some 270 grain banded solids and some Hornady 300 grain encapsulated FMJs to try out.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting 300 grain Barnes Triple shocks in my Win M70 Classic stainless that group as small as .5" for 3 shots at 100 yards. The load is 71 grains of Reloader 15, slight crimp, CCI Magnum primers and Federal once fired brass. I have them seated to just under magazine length for this rifle.
Haven't chronographed these loads but it doesn't matter, this load is so accurate I'm not messing with it.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes load data for .375H&H

In addition to their manual data and their guidelines for loading the TSX, which postdates their Manual No. 3, you should see the above data, which was specifically developed for the TSX.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THANKS Guys

LWD I notice on the chart for the 300 solid banded and the 300 TSX using R15 there is a 5 gr difference between the 2 loads and they slow the TSX down .What is the reason for this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've not used those solids so I can't say for sure, but I would guess that it has to do with the construction of the bullet---probably more bearing surface.

Barnes is pretty good about responding if you email them. email@barnesbullets.com If your question is about the bullet construction or loading, you'll probably get a response from a guy named Ty who is very knowledgeable and pleasant.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the hijack, but there are two parallel threads on a related topic going on at at the moment. While not directly related to the question posed here, the other thread might be of interest. In short, Barnes' website and some people on AR saying 76.5 grs or so of RL 15 is the max load for the 300 gr banded solid. Others on AR suggesting 71-72 gr of AR 15 is the max and one report of 72 grs of AR 15 causing case head separation in a .375 H&H when used with the 300 gr banded solid. I'm not sure what to believe. I'm inclined to follow the Barnes wesite (link above) but am worried by conflicting statements.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I worked up this load last summer with my M70 w/24" barrel. I used RL15 with Fed 215's and CC1 250's. I think the top charge I tested was 72gr. of RL15 and it chronied out at well over 2600fps. I dropped back to 71gr. and loaded the TSX and Solid the same. They averaged just under 2600 and shot 10 of each into a 2" circle without trying much. I think I settled on the Fed 215s.

David

Edited to clarify: No pressure signs from any of these loads. Tested at about 85+/- degrees in 90%+ humidity.

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I had similar results as David in the post above. In summer weather (80+ temps) in half grain increments I shot Reloader 15 with Barnes 300 grain TSX from 70 grains to 74 grains and had great accuracy at 71 grains.
I used CCI Magnum primers, and once fired Federal brass.
I saw no pressure signs for any of those loads.
I did not chronograph my loads.
For my rifle I am staying with the 71 grain load as it produces very small groups in my 24" barreled Win M70 Classic Stainless.
Good luck with yours.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote