Find
Notify
Tools

Help finding 8x57JRS Dies, Shellholder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi folks,

I'm trying to help a good friend out, who can't find ammo for her Heym 8x57JRS (Rimmed) in RSA. I've checked RCBS and a couple of other sites looking for dies and a shellholder, but no luck. Does Old Western Scrounger still exist? Am I on the wrong track? Please help

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Without looking at the parent case dimensions, the 9.3 X 74 rimmed uses a standard belted magnum shellholder (338 WM, 375 H&H, 458 etc), but it igh also be based on the 405 winchester?

Do not be afraid to modify shellholders, they are easy enough to grind to fit.

I gotta run right now, but later on I'll look and see if you can use regular 8mm mauser dies to load it.

Since this is a double rifle reound, I'd suggest asking this in the double rifles forum here too.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rikkie

The 8x57 JS and the 8x57 JRS can be loaded with the same dies. The rimmed case takes an RCBS #4 shellholder.

Old Western Scrounger still exists but is now located somewhere back East.

http://www.ows-ammo.com/catalog/

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Standard 8x57 dies as others have mentioned.

Some brands of .303 British shellholders fit, some dont. It is close but not exactly the same. Best thing is take a case and try it.

Some other cases with same rim include 7x57R, 7x65R and any other 57mm rimmed Mauser case (6.5x57R, 9x57R etc) if that helps.

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks! I'll get some of her cases and go shopping for a shellholder. 8x57Js dies shouldn't be any problem at all.

Thanks again. Where would we be without AR?

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rikkie,

The advice above is excellent.

I use regular vanilla-flavored RCBS 7X57, 8X57IS and 7x64 Brenneke Dies to load the 7X57R, 8X57IRS and the 7X65R since I'm loading the rimless versions for myself & friends as well.

The only "Watch-Out" is that due to the variances in shellhoder depth(s) you may have to adjust (Read:tweak) the Full-Length Sizing Die just a smidgen if you bounce back and forth between using the same Die Set for the Rimmed and Rimless versions of these cartidges.

You can also easily get by with the addition of a 8X57IS Mauser Neck Sizing Die once the Rimmed cartridge have been fired in the SAME chamber. I find they work the brass less and you only have to Full-Length Re-Size infrequently (5,6-7 loadings). The brass tends to stretch less IF you use a reasonable load that isn't "Pushing-the-Envelope" (read:higher pressures). In the vast majority of these Rimmed cases for BBF's & Drillings the Primer Pocket is the weak link in the chain. If the load stresses the Primer Pocket and they become loose you should back off on the charge. After that the cartridge cases will last almost indefinately.

If you're loading for a Double rifle then you're gonna have to tweak as best you can to get the regulation correct (or as close as possible). I find this isn't usually at the upper end of the loading tables anyway.

I also find the Lee Case Length Gauges (Hand-Held Case Trimmers) in their rimless versions work great as well for Rimmed Cartridges- they work perfectly with a Lee's #5 (Magnum Case Size) Shellholder making trimming the cases a snap.

Loading for a complete array of Rimmed Cartridges I've had had to sorta juggle around to find the best fit for the various cases I'm using (RWS & Norma, not alot of (success) with S&B) these manufacturers:

Hornady #13

Lyman X7 (fits my cases best in 7x57R & 8x57IRS) & X14B

RCBS #4 & #26

So I'd be having a 8x57IRS case in my pocket when I went to the store (if the opportunity avails) to ensure a proper fit.

Good Luck assisting your friend.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerry makes a good point about properly adjusting your dies for the gun that you are loading for. Don't simply screw the die down to bump against the shell holder as this may cause excessive headspace. Also, if the shell holder lips are a bit too thick, then you may not be able to push the shoulder back sufficiently to achieve easy chambering. The solution to this is to grind some thickness off of the shell holder.

BTW, Gerry: I passed through Frankfurt on my way to Africa last June and loved my brief visit to your city! Hope to return soon!

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonie.....,

Cool!

Big Grin

JohnCrighton (Eric) who posts here came through FKT last week on his way to Namibia too. Since I'm originally from Tampa and he's living there now, we exchanged a few PM's.

Picked him up at the Airport, brought him out to the house for a shower, had some lunch, a few Beers, exchanged some really good hunting stories and took him around to a couple of my favorite German Gunsmith Shops so he could ooggle the used Drilling racks.

If the amount of photos he took is an indication of his enjoyment; he musta had a Blast!

Had a really pleasant afternoon with a great new Friend, got him outa the Airport for a while, kept him awake instead of lolly-gagging around in an Airport Lounge so he could sleep the night flight to Namibia to assist with the Jet-Lag.

I hope he's having a successful trip to Namibia.

Drop me PM next time you come through FKT.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote