New
Find
Notify
Tools

Affordable but accurate .308Win bullet?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got my first set of .308 Win dies(Lee deluxe) and brass, and I will be reloading for a heavy barrel Tikka and a future Remington put-together 700 tactical rifle(Shilen 1-in-12 barrel).

What will be the bullet of choice that is affordable but accurate?

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you want to do with this rifle?Is it for target only or will you hunt with it?

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a newbie at this, too, but I found one .308 load that works well for me, and is inexpensive to put together.

I use:
-43gr of H335
-130 gr. Speer .308 Flat SP (an inexpensive bullet)
-Winchester brass (have not experimented with varieties here)
-CCI 200 large rifle primers (ditto)

Posts: 132 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to the Speer 165 for inexpensive hunting, and the Sierra 165 boat tail for target shooting, though either bullet will work well in either application. 165 is kind of a "sweet spot" for ballistic coefficient, resistance to being blown off course by the wind, etc.

46 grains of Varget is a nice load. At least the one batch I tested has no variation with temperature, which is nice. Hodgdon greatly exaggerates their "temperature insensitivity" claim, but this is one combination that works well. I touch it off with CCI200 primers.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 168 nosler j4's good price accurate and they kill anything from deer on down with no trouble. [Big Grin] Most likely work on elk but then I have only use serria matchkings on elk with no trouble.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot a bunch of Speers 125 TNT's over the years-I buy them in a 500 round pack. Pretty cost effective.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Patrick_D>
posted
For target or thin-skinned game the Lapua Scenar is an excellent choice, and (over here, at least) one of the least expensive.

Patrick

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info,

The bullets are for targets...

Lapua Scenar is "one of the least expensive" in England? [Eek!] I have always thought they are high dollar bullets. How much do they cost in North America? I've heard some very good stuff about Scenar bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For cheap accurate shooting I would have to vote for the Speer 125 TNT. That bullet is capable of very fine accuracy. It will shoot sub .5 MOA in both of my 308's and as well in a couple others that shooting buddies of mine have. We use Win. 748 and a Fed. 210M in Win. brass. It yeilds 3150 to 3200 fps. It is a heck of a coyote load. If you coyote hunt it leaves big holes, and a DRT coyote.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight.......RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
Any of the assorted 168gr hpbt bullets should be accurate in your rifle. I buy winchester 147gr FMJ bullets and shoot them a lot in my .308's for plinking and informal target practice.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have very good accuracy in my Brno 601 with Hornady 165 gr SP. It is also my old st.by for Roe and Rein deer hunting.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back when I had a 308 Rem M788, i was just starting to reload (35 years ago) and was doing my best to beat the factory loads for accuracy at 100 yards. I dang near gave up and thought reloading accuracy was a hoax. Then by sheer luck I tried some Sierra 125s in front of W748 and a lifetime of fun and education was initiated. These cut a clover leaf for the first three shots, and then rounded it out for the next 10.

I can't say that this load is the one for your 308...the message is to keep trying and keep good records. If you do choose to start with some 125s stick to flat based types with a lot of bearing surface.

Good Luck!!

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
I would recommend 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. Though they might be a touch more then the others listed, their accuracy potential has proven itself to me many times.

BigBullet

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
For the rifles you described choosing only "cheap" bullets to shoot is doin the rifle an injustice. Like buying a Ferrarri and using the cheapest gas you can find.

I'd see if they'll shoot Sierra Match Kings first and which weight bullet each likes, if you're lucky they'll like the same thing, if not . . .

Have fun

Rick

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While it may not be on a par with some of the "handmade" bullets, to determine a new rifle's potential I consider Sierra Matchkings as "cutting to the chase".

If a well-bedded rifle won't shoot some weight of MK's accurately chances are it's a sprayer.

I'd try the 168gr MKs first with Varget, H414, or RL-15 and Federal Match primers and de-burred flashholes.

[ 07-10-2003, 00:39: Message edited by: steve y ]

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
River Rat,

Did you say DRT? BWAHAHAHA!!! Haven't heard that in a while.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
I would rec either the 165 Sierra GKBT or the Nosler Bat Tip with VARGET powder and BR-2 Primers in WW or Lapua cases in the 308 or 30-06.

Both are resonably priced and very accurate.

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
<Peter>
posted
Obviously there have been a large variety of answers. The same rifle will NOT shoot all bullets of any weight accurately! My Rem 700 HB shoots the 150gr. MK's the best. Try different weights, OR, measure the twist rate of your barrel first, before running out and buying 500 or 1000 bullets!
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pyrotek, I've been in your shoes before, and the bullets I would recommend for you to start with are Hornady AMax, either 168 or 155-grain. You could also go with the Sierra or Nosler counterparts, but they're slightly more expensive. All of them should be able to blow the X-ring out of the target at 600 metres, if you do everything right. If you order from Higginson in Ottawa, you'll get the best price in Canada for Hornady bullets, but you're still spending about $30 for a box of 100.

I'd use those match bullets first to really see how your rifle shoots. With a good rifle, you should have no problem getting 1/2 m.o.a., and in reality, you should do better.

For general purpose "fun" shooting at close ranges, however, you could try any decent 150 or 165-grain hunting bullet. Again, I've had fantastic results with Hornadys, both flat base and boattail, and they're cheaper than the competition if you order from Higginson.

As for powder, you simply can't go wrong with Varget, period. Others may be equally good, but Varget is a proven, dependable performer in a huge number of different .308 rifles and conditions. It is becoming the .308 target shooter's powder of choice.

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your replies.

I think it is too early(and impossible) to say I am going to settle with one bullet only, some could be really accurate, some are much cheaper yet still very good. I will try recommended match bullets for accuracy, then some simple construction bullets for pure fun. Myself have been using 123~125 grainers for some silly stuff.

P-17,

Where is this Higginson in Ottawa that you mentioned? Any store info or website?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pyrotek: here's the link to Higginson. These guys have been in business in Canada for over 100 years and they have the best prices on powders, Hornady bullets, Bushnell optics, and Lee reloading equipment in this country, bar none. Check them out and give them a call.

One thing they offer that nobody else in Canada offers is access to ultra-cheap huge lots of surplus powders for ridiculously low prices like $14-$16 a pound.

I warn you, though. Once you start ordering in bulk from them, you're going to get addicted!

http://www.higginsonpowders.com/

Cheers.

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote