Find
Notify
Tools

One 300 Yard Shot With My Marlin .243
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted
Below are a couple of photos of a shot I made with my Marlin bolt action .243 shooting 55 gr Midway Dogtown bullets pushed by 48 grains of IMR4350.

I had just worked up some test loads with the 55 grain bullet and IMR4350 powder. All charges were shooting well, so I saved one of the hottest charged cartridges and one of the next to the hottest charged cartridge. (So, I only had two cartridges left to shoot.)

I set up two targets at 300 yds (according to my laser range finder). I had taken no practice shots at 300 yards. The photos are of the first shot I made at 300 yards. It was with the hottest load. If I recall correctly, I aimed about 5 inches high and 3 or 4 inches to the right (there was a light breeze from right to left).

I fired the last cartridge with the lighter charge and it was a good shot, but not as good as the first one. The second one hit about 2" low and 1.5" left of bull's eye.

I know just one shot doesn't mean much, but I was pretty excited simply because it was just one shot, without any other practice at 300 yards, and the only cartridge I had loaded to those specs.

I could probably shoot all day long and never duplicate this shot. I'm framing it and hanging it with my other "brag" photos in my "man room."

Oh, by the way, this is the .243 that shoots everything well. I just can't believe such an inexpensive gun shoots so very well. I love it!

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For your hunting rifle, the first shot is the one that counts!

tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
For your hunting rifle, the first shot is the one that counts!

tu2
+1 Absolutely. Nice wind deciphering! tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote