New
Find
Notify
Tools

light 458 bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just wondering what bullets that you guy know about for under 300 gr .458 dia. bullets

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have to ask why? But I do have the answer; use a round ball; they weigh 175 grains. The Army used to load those for gallery practice in the 1880s.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a light weight contender carbine with 23 in barrel.

I am very used to down loading for it and many different calibers.

I guess I looking for something around 2000fps plus with out the recoil of normally loads.

Why does ay body try something different I have many different calibers and guns to do what I need.

Thought this might be fun.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I did not know about those Hornady 250s. Go for it.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know about them now I do. Lots of new things come to the market.

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Offhand I can think of a few.

Barnes has a 250 gr TSX, CEB has a 250 gr hollow point and a 295 gr solid, Lehigh makes a 255 gr pointed solid as a match bullet for the 458 SOCOM and Hornady has a 250 gr "Monoflex" bullet. Probably more but those are bullets I researched for my 458 SOCOM.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerard:
http://www.gsgroup.co.za/458270HV251.html

Gerard you make some great bullets but I find your web site a bit hard to determine what bullet I am looking for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply's gives me some things to think about has any body used muzzle loading sabots in there cartridge arms to reduce bullet weights.

I have a bunch of 45 cal sabots from a muzzle loader project I was playing with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
p dog,

I hear you and, as soon as the USA GSC site is done, it will be much easier. The structure is already easier than the old site. The GSC South Africa site is an evolution of 15 years and it has wandered a little. Sometimes adding a page is like herding cats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn son. Go to the big bore forum. Michael458 can or has answered your question(s).

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The laws of physics are not going to allow you to shoot a 250 gr bullet at 2000 FPS in a Contender and have you like it recoil wise.

quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I have a light weight contender carbine with 23 in barrel.

I am very used to down loading for it and many different calibers.

I guess I looking for something around 2000fps plus with out the recoil of normally loads.

Why does ay body try something different I have many different calibers and guns to do what I need.

Thought this might be fun.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
p dog shooter
Put your bullets in a lathe and turn it down( the back part) to the specific weight you are in need of, it will not effect your over all length.You will have a bullet now to your own specifications.

Posts: 113 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 22 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen the Hornady 250gr bullets. They may be interesting going in the opposite direction. I bet I can get over 3000 out of my lott with them. But back to what PD Shooter was asking for. I would look at cast bullets in the 250 -300 gr range and load them to 45-70 loads you are not going to get 2000fps with a 250-300gr bullet in a light weight rifle with out significant recoil. Hear is a link. I suggested the lead as they will be cheaper.
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Cutting Edge Bullets....... 250 gr Socom............

Do not let its weight fool you as to what it is capable of.............

In July this year I took several zebra, wildebeast, hartebeast and assorted other critters with this bullet, most all were DRT, and only on occasion would I find the remaining bullet, most exited...........

Later in Zimbabwe, I purposely took a cow buffalo, behind the shoulder, lung shot, bullet made it all the way to the far side. On dry land, hippo in the brain at 17 yds, bullet hit with such impact that it squirted brains out both ears for 6 feet in both directions.........

458 B&M, 18 inch gun, 250 Socom at 2900 fps.................

I have numerous reports from the field of many many more plains game and other animals being taken with great success.....

Currently on big bores I am running pressures on 458 Lott and 458 Winchester, in the lott we can run this bullet to 3100 fps at 52000 PSI.............

I have not finished with the 458 Winchester yet, but at 2800 fps with 3 powders from 46000 PSI to 49000 PSI....

Also an excellent 45/70 bullet, very capable of doing big things.........

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote