New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-06 vs. .270
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Was looking at the Hodgdon Annual reloading magazine. I see that velocities at max for both of the above are different in favor of the .270 when camparable bullet weights are used. Why is this? I'm wondering if it's just that 270 data is more tried and true. I'm trying to decide if the 6.5 offers anything the .270 does not for a long range deer/coyote gun. Sometimes it's just nice to be different I guess. IJF

Posts: 39 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon Territory | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Was looking at the Hodgdon Annual reloading magazine. I see that velocities at max for both of the above are different in favor of the .270 when comparable bullet weights are used

The 6.5 is encroaching on powder room when comparing bullet weights. The 6.5 is longer, better BC. If you compare BC, you should see closer velocities.
Also, the 6.5, due to its better BC. does not have to go faster to do the same thing.

The 6.5 is a hand loader cartridge, the 270 is available off the shelf.

A better comparison may be the 270 vs. the 280.
.264 / .277 a difference of .013
.277 / .284 a difference of .007... I know it doesn�t sound like much, but it is what it is. I think you will notice some thing else, the .270 is normally loaded to higher pressures than other cartridges.

All will do what you are asking, but the 6.5 does it with more grace. Also a lot more projectiles available to. Not to say there is not enough for the 270 to reach both ends of the spectrum, the 6.5 just seems to have a WORLD of different manufacturers to help it along...

I am sure there are more reasons too....

Way to much fun...

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I'm absolutely surprised the 6.5-06 hasn't made it to the status of commercially available. It isn't a lot different than a .270 but in my eyes it's better. However I won't go the wildcat route for the difference.

The real key with the 6.5 (and the .280 as well) is barrel twist......they can both handle longer bullets than the .270.......a plus in my view.....

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both, and there is not 2 cents of difference between them.

The 129 gr Hornady in the 6.5-06 is about equal to the 140 gr in the 270.

Certainly now worth the wildcat status and expense. I'll just stay with the 270 Win.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Ian.

I also own and shoot both cartridges. Personally I believe the ballistic coeffecient argument only comes into play when a man is limited to one gun. I shoot the 120 grain in my 6.5, at about 3100fps+, and I shoot the 130 grain in one of my 270's at about 3200, the other 3120. The two very good cartridges are so close, that for a hunting round I suspect you can't find a difference.

If you like to tinker, and want to build a custom rifle, build a 6.5-06. I built mine on an 03 Springfield, I love it. But I have to say the 270 Winchester is my all time favorite, and it will never let you down.

The 270 works, always has, and always will be the sub 30 caliber to which all other cartridges are compared.

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The velocity difference is usually explained by the fact the the 6.5 in similar bullet weight has more bearing surface in the bore and therefore more drag. I'm no expert but it makes sense. The practical difference is almost invisible.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The difference between these two, as well as the 7x57, .280 Remington and probably the 7mm Mag is for the most part an academic discussion. Shooters can find all kinds of reasons to justify their favorite cartridge, but the reality of hunting does away with most of these differences. The fact is that we could only have about a dozen cartridges from crows to elephants and never miss the rest or kill less game. It is a lot of fun to nitpick the differences however.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote