THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    300WSM Case being deformed when seating bullet HELP

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300WSM Case being deformed when seating bullet HELP
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tazfla
posted
Just started to load 300WSM, and I have both RCBS full size dies & Redding neck dies. I have followed all the instructions to the letter. But when I insert the bullet into the primed & powder charged brass, 6 out of 10 come out like if I had scrunched the neck down into the shoulder. The rpoblem starts during the bullet seating process. I'am using imperial wax to lube the brass & I have attached the dies to the RCBS Rockchuker press as per the instructions. I'am at my wits end, already ruined too much good brass, any help would be very greatly appreciated.

"si vos non ago pro quispiam, vos intero nusquam"

Posts: 51 | Location: South Miami,Florida (Hurricane Central) | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tazfla, I have seen this with several friends reloading for various calibers, and the WSM's seem to be one. Try this---

Back your seating die way out, the die itself, not the seater. Put a dummy case--no powder but with a bullet on the case mouth-- into the press and raise the ram fully. Next, slowly screw in your die until you fell resistance. When you feel the resistance, lower the ram, and screw your die one more turn into the press. Now raise the ram fully again and see if it just starts to seat the bullet into the case--it should. As crazy at it seems, sometomes the die needs to be slightly above the face of the press, but I have typically found that if you h ave the seating stem high enough, your die will be at least right at the point where your shell holder hits it and cams over.

Good luck!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
99 times out of a hundred the die is screwed down to far and the die is trying to crimp the bullet. Like Fish says...back out the die and it will go away...unless you are one of those unlucky 1/100 guys!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have followed all the instructions to the letter.

Can you repeat those insrtuction here for us to read?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and make sure the necks are inside chamfered good

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had the same problem it just didn't feel right so i backed the die out and worked it down till i had the legnth i wanted

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The seating die is probably hitting the case mouth before the bullet seats all the way.

Unscrew the seating die body and put an empty case in the shell holder and raise the ram all the way.

Screw the seating die body until you feel it touch the empty case. Now unscrew the seating die body 1/2 of a turn and lock it down.

Screw the seating die plug down on a loaded cartridge to set the overall length.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12604 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
The seating die is probably hitting the case mouth before the bullet seats all the way.

Unscrew the seating die body and put an empty case in the shell holder and raise the ram all the way.

Screw the seating die body until you feel it touch the empty case. Now unscrew the seating die body 1/2 of a turn and lock it down.

Screw the seating die plug down on a loaded cartridge to set the overall length.

Frank states a better attack plan than me! Without the bullet it's probably easier to feel the case all alone, a similar method, but I recommend Franks over mine now that I've read em both a couple of times!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the dies are adjusted correctly, then you may need more of a chamfer on the brass.

Also boat tailed bullets help in this regard as well.

Also see if a fired case will accept a bullet being inserted into the neck.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
....or you may need this tool:

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1222...tml#CaseExpandingDie

Several years ago I made an almost identical tool; it makes seating flat base bullets sooooo smooth.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tazfla
posted Hide Post
As always, Thank you all for your invaluable knowledge. I visit many sites in my reloading journeys, but none have the accrued experience & knowledge found here. To answer steve 4102, it states in the instructions to pull press lever to it's upright position, then screw die into press until it comes into contact with the shell holder. Once that occurs, back-off die one full turn. I did that with both the Redding & RCBS dies. I actually bought the RCBS after seeing the problem occuring wiht the Redding die thinking it was a Redding problem. Gents, thanks for all the great help, as soon as it stops raining Cats & Dogs & Cows....well you get the picture, I'll get to my shed & try all your great suggestions.
BTW Fjold , were can I meet the girl in the light blue top ????

"si vos non ago pro quispiam, vos intero nusquam"

Posts: 51 | Location: South Miami,Florida (Hurricane Central) | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lubed the inside of the bottle necked brass with a little graphite to ease the expander & facilitate seating non boat tail bullets.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
thumbFjold has it right. One other thing,however, make sure that all your cases are trimmed close to the same length. If you set your die with a short case longer cases can give you problems. I've gotten sloppy once or twice and it happened. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote