Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old BR reloader getting into it again
 Login/Join

posted
I own a 6mm Remington in a 40XB that I've enjoyed since 1967 or so. I also enjoyed bachelorhood until that fateful day at 42. Now that that's over, I intend to get a life, the latest part of which included a hunting trip to Hawaii with the 6mm.

I was careful loading back in the 60s & 70s, doing all the following: Using NM brass, inside neck reaming, outside neck turning, weighing casings, & measuring runout. I noted I still got occasional fliers, which I could not explain.

My question is, is there somewhere that I could go that I could brush up on the latest techniques in reloading? I am most willing to learn new procedures in order to get my groups down. Certainly there are a lot of them since I last loaded in the 80s.

I have shot mostly Sierra 60s & 85BTHPs, and had good luck. I've also used my 6mm for hunting, up to deer for which it is very adequate. Lest I be accused of a light caliber apologist, my normal deer rifle is a 338 WM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum wenzel. I wish that all accuracy problems were just the load. Like others I play with all kinds of recipes hoping thats the magic cure.

The main cause of rifle inaccuracy might be bedding but there are many other factors. I had a list around here that bears posting again and I will look for it.

The main cause of bullets flying off are the aim however.

Here is the 6mm Br site.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of new, GREAT powders out now that out perform the old ones. And, match grade bullets are available. My bet is that your reloading equipment will still be up to task.

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Where you located? You could attend a local registered shoot in your area.

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
This is a good site BR shooters seem to use, you`ll find lots of info here on the sport and a forum.

http://www.benchrest.com/

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Wenzel,

I have a sporter 6mm Rem too, and I make my brass from W-W .257 Roberts brass (they both being derived from the 7X57 cartridge). The Winchester brass has more case capacity than other brass.

I would guess that your fliers are bullets that are not concentric internally. You can test for same with a Juneke electronic device. Although bullet makers today use them too, so bullets are better.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, for all the help. As my grandpa said, "Much obliged 'til you're better paid."

I worked on a couple loads today for my new Browning A Bolt in 7MM WSM; H4831 and Magpro. Beautiful day in Wisconsin, must have gotten to 55 degrees.

I had some variation in my speeds notwithstanding increasing the loads gradually. I wonder if my old Ohaus is accurate - it seems like it is sensitive and repeatibilty is good. For example, 62.0 grains of H4831 gave 2614, 62.5 grains gave 2895, but 63.0 gave 2793. What's up?

All cases were new WW and there was no indication of overpressure.

Magpro was more consistent.