New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: A good powder for a 300 RUM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thank you guys for the help. I am new to reloading and was wondering if that was even possible. I believe I will try the 200 gr. accubonds with the RL25 and then go from there.

Posts: 32 | Location: Loveland, Colorado | Registered: 17 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thank you guys for the help. I am new to reloading and was wondering if that was even possible. I believe I will try the 200 gr. accubonds with the RL25 and then go from there.

Neat thread...I just went through all this not long ago. Here's what I have: Remington 300 Ultra with a 28" Shilen #4 barrel, rifle is custom. I went to the range with 180 Sciroccos on top of IMR 4350, H1000, RETUMBO, Re22, and Re25. Best slow powder group was with RETUMBO, 1/2" 3 shots. Best velocity was with RETUMBO, 3368 avg. NO PRESSURE signs. I'll have to go back and look at the charge but I recall it was around 97-98.0gr. WLRM primer. Re25 was right behind it with 3344 near max load but pressure evident. Groups were 3/4" with 3 shots.

96.0 H1000 produced 3288 and a 1.3" 5 shot grp.

IMR4350 was much slower, 3177 but was overall the most consistent and accurate, producing over 7 shot groups at less than 3/4", 3 groups of 5 shots at 3/4", and 2 5 shot groups of 1.6" at 215 yards...I used a sandbag for the forend of the rifle but no sandbag for the butt, therefore, with my heart beat and breathing, I think I may have had better groups with a more secure rest.

Quite frankly, with the consistency of the IMR4350, I may just go with that. However, I too am heading back to the range to finish testing Re25 with 200 Accubond. The way things are going with that load, the Scirocco's may find themselves on the shelf for a long time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
H1000 pushes the 200gr smk at ~3150 for me with .25moa
Retumbo pushes the 216gr clinch river at ~3150 with .25moa
RL25 was showing some extreme promise with the 200's as well as I am sure it will be similar with the 216's.

The reason I BUILT (30" PacNor Select finished at .995") all the truing work, mcmillan tooley MBR, Rifle basix trigger, sako extractor, recoil lug, vais break, etc etc was so that I could take full advantage of the cavernous RUM case and use very slow powders to push very heavy high BC pills to some blistering speeds. I have accomplished this and have no reason to try anything lighter than 200gr with that much case available. Your mileage may vary. Go with the 200gr accubond for hunting,..it is almost capable of match winning accuracy. We have had factory rifles well into the .5moa range with them and RL25 or Retumbo.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote