Find
Notify
Tools

300 WSM Shellholder
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted
If I understand it, the 300 WSM's head diameter is around 0.550". Redding shows the same #6 shellholder for the 300 WSM as they do for the regular belted magnum cases. But, those case are only 0.532" +/-. RCBS lists a #43 shellholder for the WSM, which is different than the one they show for the belted mags. Has anyone used either one, or, found any problems with using the standard mag shellholder?
Thanx,
R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I use an RCBS #4 for my H&H based rounds,my 7SAUM,my 300WSM and my 338Ultra.

All without issues................

one of us
posted Hide Post
R-west;
The only one that has worked for me is the no. 43 in RCBS, you'll need both types of shell holders in no. 43 for trimmer and press. I don't know about Reddings but only the RCBS no.43 will fit the WSM's.
Good luck,
MM [Wink]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
MM,

I'm driving a Rockchucker,be curious to hear what you are usin'..............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Same here Big Stick, I tried that no.4 and wouldn't fit. [Frown]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
A guy I work with is new into reloading and he is using the RCBS #4 on his Rockchucker for his 300WSM as well.

I trim on an RCBS casetrimmer #2 sometimes and it will happily accept the assortment mentioned prior,with it's #4 case holder plate.

Now I'm wondering about W/W quality control,regarding the Whizzum brass? Something is amiss,somewhere.............

-

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a 270 wsm 300win 340 wby 270win. my wsm would not fit my #3or#4 rcbs makes a#43that fits perfect.all the wsm's are the same on the rim size, it was 6$ good luck.IF you can't find one, i had to wait 2 wks. Call rcbs tell you can't find one in you're area,they will prob, send you one free of charge. They are xcellent on co. rel.

Posts: 25 | Location: oregon | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
HUH!! Strange, RCBS #4 is working for me. I'm driving a redding boss. Dont even think about using Win Primers...many are finding them loose fitting from the start in virgin brass.
Anybody know where we could all go in together on some NORMA and get a volume discount....then split em up????
Let me know,
Dave

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Dave,

I concur on the Winny primers. I shitcanned a bunch of 30-8mmRemmmag brass that I mistakenly thought I had shot loose. It were them primers and that issue alone!(Still pissed)

BUT,they is sometimes nice for AR ammo via the Dillon,when utilizing milsurp brass. They don't require the primer swaging. A catch 22.

Norma dimensions appeal to me,but they are far softer than most,in chamberings I've given them a whirl. I have not(will not) give their WSM offering a try,for that reason.

I patiently await Lapua to step up and be the end all...............

<Hi-Wall>
posted
Using RCBS#43 on my Crusher II and RCBS#4 plate on my Trim-Pro with no problems. About 30% of new Winchester .300WSM brass I have bought has had loose pockets with WLR primers and have had two cases with incompletely punched flash holes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm using the #4 myself but they are snug, using the rockchucker also, I never use WW primers because they always seem loose.
Albert

Posts: 98 | Location: Kenova WV | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang Guys!
I surely wished that No.4 would have worked for me! Would have save me $18.oo+ for three holders, two for press & hand-primer tool, and the flat one for my trimmer! But the 200 rounds of 270 brass has been excellent, I uniformed all primer pockets before I started loading and all took just about same cut. Haven't lost a primer yet all feel pretty much the same when seating them.
Flash holes, were the easiest I've done to date, maybe a 1/3 had no burr to cut and the rest almost flicked off as the cutter hit'em.
Any of you ever deal with Wisconsin Cartridge Co.?
That's where I got my brass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
midwayusa.com is suposed to be selling norma brass for the wsm's here in the near future, so untill then i've been getting it at my local out let,at 12.50 per 50.for my 270.

Posts: 25 | Location: oregon | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Having had my loading process come to a screeching halt once before while attempting to load a cartridge for which I had no shellholder (I think it was the 45 Colt) [Mad] , I've ordered an RCBS 43 to complement the various brands of maggie shellholders I have lying around.

gray beard - If that's Norma you're getting at 12.50/50, I hope you bought all they had. I think Huntington's, or someplace I visited lately via the Web, shows Norma for the 270 and 300 at $53.00/100!!

My sentiments exactly, Big Stick. Lapua is definitely the way to go, but, do you think they'll figure the market is there?

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
It would much suprise me if Lapua did not introduce Whizzum hulls................