New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horizontal spread
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, today I went to the range with a friend; we tried his rifle, a Remington 700 BDL cal. 270 Win. At 200 meters, we got some 10/12 cm (4/5 inches) groups, due to some horizontal spread; without it, groups could have been tighter, about 7/8 cm. (3 inches). Some details: almost no wind, the scope is a new Burris S. Select 3-12X, solid scope mounts and fairly well made reloaded ammos; so, which could be the causes of this horizontal spread? Thanks.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It could be bedding,with one side of the stock pressing on the barrel,or it could be poor shooting form.You are also only talking about an inch or so at 200 yards,which isn't very much even if the wind is very light.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The three things that come to mind are wind, scope parralax and shooting form (as mentioned).

Even a 10 Km/hr cross wind will move the bullet three cm over two hundred meters, and you would barely notice it. Even worse is inconsistent, swirling or switching wind. Go 10 km/hr east on the first shot, and then 10 km/hr west on the second shot, and bullets go everywhere. Make some good wind-flags, and try again.

Shooting form can influence it as well, including trigger finger pressure and cheek weld. Someone here can probably expound on that better than I can.

Third, unless your scope is set to correct for parrallax at 200 M, 3 cm is about the amount that an inconsistent rifle mount will cost you. Again, cheek weld consistency is critical. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Two most common causes...

External pressure on the barrel
Wrong loads.

My first suggestion is to cut the distance in half and re-work the loads you are using.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
after 3 years of tracking down problems I found that the Front action bolt in my 700 was too short, it would catch but work loose.. If the action is loose try a longer front bolt

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having the action in a bind, or scope parallax, as well as a loose base will cause the horizontal dispersion.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
A tight grip on the rifle foregrip can cause this as well.

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A remote possibility, which I have experienced is barrel fouling. What I mean is that if you start with clean/oiled bore, as you shoot the barrel will foul and can string the shots horizontally. Just this past week I ran an experiment where I scrubbed and then oiled M700 30-06 rifle bore. Prior to shooting I ran several clean patches thru to reove excess lube. First shot was 12" right, second shot was 10" right, third shot was 8" right, fourth shot was 2" right, and rest of shots were on target. Verticle was never disturbed. I would not have believed it had I not seen it.

If your shots are walking horizontally and you started with clean/oiled bore, this could explain it.