THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First range report as a Reloader! (pics)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thanks to everyone who helped me get through the first couple of weeks as a reloader. It all came together today at the range, and I couldn't be more pleased.

I took 70 rounds of .25-06, all loaded with 110 grain Nosler Accubonds, Federal 210, and 50.0 grains of IMR 4831. Honestly, the only reason I chose this powder was because my AA3100 and Reloader 22 hadn't arrived yet, and I was itching to shoot. Brass was unfired Winchester. My objective today was simply to find an optimum seating depth around which to build a load for this bullet, so I kept the powder charge constant and varied the seating depth from 0.010-0.040" off the lands using a Redding competition seater.

It was an eye opening experience. I never dreamed that OAL could so dramatically effect grouping, but my groups ranged from 2.10" to 0.89", and nothing changed but seating depth from one group to the next. Never mind powder charge -- control of seating depth alone is reason enough to never buy factory ammo again. I expected that the groups would tighten as I worked down to 0.010" (off lands), but they actually went back and forth. This suggests to me that barrel harmonics come into play with seating depth, as the relationship between seating depth and group size was definitely non-linear.

The sweet spot for my rifle (Sako 85) with the Nosler Accubond appears to be 0.025" off the lands -- yielding a 0.89" five shot group (100 yards) from a clean barrel. The runner up was 0.010" off lands at a 1.13" group. Next time, I'll seat the bullets 0.002" and 0.003" deeper and shallower than this baseline to try to fine tune OAL while still keeping the powder charge constant. Once I've got the seating depth nailed down, I'll move up and down with the powder charge in 0.2 grain increments until I have it locked down.

I guess a 0.89" group isn't a bad start from my first handloads and given that I've not experimented whatsoever with the powder charge. All groups were 5-shot from 100 yards. The barrel was allowed to cool for 5 minutes between each shot, and it was cleaned after every 5-shot group. It was a LONG day.

First pic is the group corresponding to 0.025" off lands (0.89"), and next is the group for 0.010" off the lands (1.13").

Posts: 25 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You done good! My favorite load in a Ruger 77, 25-06 is:

Hornady 120gr HP
Win case
WLR primer
H4831, 52.8gr

In my gun, consistently half MOA, and about 3050fps. Has taken several Pronghorns (and a couple 500 yard prairie dogs!), and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on Mule deer.

Posts: 100 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, I've had a ton of people tell me that the .25-06 does better near max powder charge, so I'm interested in seeing what will happen when I get up around 51.0 IMR 4831. At 50 grains and only 0.010 off the lands, I had absolutely no signs of pressure.

Posts: 25 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
with the 25/06's i load for the first sign of high pressure is loose primer pockets. you will discover that when you seat a new primer.
dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Now you are hopelessly hooked and will spend more money than you should experimenting with various powders, bullets, etc. Smiler

Seriously, though, for just starting out, it looks like you have grasped the concept quite well and are on your way to many years of enjoyment.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9402 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
thumbGreat start thumb beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, your other 2 powder choices are good, but keep in mind, the various 4831s are excellent in that caliber.

I've also always heard that the 25.06 does well when "hot."

Thanks for sharing your results. The fun begins when you run into kinks with other powders!! Your sweet spot with 4831 may no longer be the case when you change powders.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hokie Hunter,

That's what accurate reloading is all about...intelligent reloading.
Congratulations. You're on your way to an enjoyable hobby.

Does anybody else feel like passing out cigars with a blue ribbon on it that says?,
"It's a boy reloader!"

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Addicting, ain't it? -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is addicting. All these years of shooting factory ammo and being exasperated that I couldn't get my rifles to shoot sub MOA, and then having people tell me that "1.5 inch groups are good enough for hunting." Well, it wasn't good enough for me, and now I know I don't have to settle for that.

What's really amazing is that, even after day one at the range, I can clearly see the difference in consistency between precision handloads and factory rounds. With my handloads, the shot distribution was much more uniform.

I'm hooked. I should have started handloading years ago.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! It's always a hoot when someone has fun with our great hobby.
Which tools did you end up buying?......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The number of rounds you have tested is pretty limited. If you re-shoot your test you may get different results.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
Congratulations! It's always a hoot when someone has fun with our great hobby.
Which tools did you end up buying?......................DJ

1) Redding FL and neck dies; competition seating dies
2) Redding Big Boss II press
3) Forster case trimmer (but it's getting replaced by a Wilson trimmer)
4) Sinclair deburring, chamfering, and uniforming tools
5) Already had a RCBS digital scale
6) Thumler tumbler
7) Starrett calipers
8) Sinclair priming tool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:
The number of rounds you have tested is pretty limited. If you re-shoot your test you may get different results.

That's always true, isn't it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .30-caliber rifle actually shoots better groups after about ten rounds of fouler fodder (110-125 gr lead roundnosers and about 5-7 grains less powder than a real round) are run through it. I think everybody's does...
There is something to be said for loading up your own stuff. You gain an appreciation as to why the bullets hit where they do, and that feels good inside...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats for joining our forum and congrats on your great shooting and reloading!!!!!
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote