Find
Notify
Tools

.284 brass to 6.5x284
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johnp034
posted
Is it fairly easy to convert .284 brass to 6.5x284? Just run it thru the die? Been reloading a while, but never have dealt with this.

Thanks,

JohnP

Posts: 939 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Yes. For new brass lapua or norma is very good.
I shoot a 6.5x 284 and do a lot of brass prep for 1000yd .
fl size them trim to length brush the necks inside load and fire form.
debur the primer holes and inside neck, turn necks usually to about 80%. check for neck wall thickness and discard any that are too thin.
If I use winchester i also sort by weigh.
If your not a serious longrange shooter or target shooter just resize loa and shoot.
pay attention to the neck size after seating a bullet .296 to .292 is a good size.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johnp034
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave, I'm also having a problem with this barrel. Its a Bullberry Encore 6.5x284, it will load & shoot factory (Nosler Custom) ammo with out a hitch. Fired 10 rounds of my reloads and 8 fired fine, but twice so far it has had a live round stuck about 99% of the way in. had to have a smith drill it out and pull the round. Any ideas?

Thanks again,

JohnP

Posts: 939 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
At what point do you get the stuck round. If its after firing a few rounds it could be dirt.
I number my rounds or give them some type of distinction.
make sure there are no scratches on the brass.
clean the out side of the neck if they have a lot of soot they could cause a problem.
I would blacken a round and mark the bottom and chamber the case slowly see if you pick up any tight spots or an inpefection with the brass,
Double check the necks with a bullet seated you may have a couple rounds with thick necks.
How many times have you shot the brass? remember
that the flow or the brass will be toward the neck and also make sure if you are fl resizing that the case goes all the way in to the die,
There may be a slight buldge at the base
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
definately try putting sized brass into the chamber before seating bullets. if they are smooth, then measure neck size and check if the bullets are hitting the lands and sticking. you can mark them with a marker and see the lines left behind if they are.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote