Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 WSM Dies Question
 Login/Join

posted
Well Gander Mountain just so happened to open a store in NW Houston this weekend. And I just happened to have money burning a hole in my pocket.. So I went home with a Winchester Model 70 Coyote in 300 WSM. Should do the trick for an Aoudad Hunt in So.Tx in January. Here is my dilemma. I like the Lee Dies just personnel preference. Never tried RCBS or Redding. Just looking at RCBS gives me a headache trying to determine what I need. I don't plan on FL Resizing, just need Neck Resizing and Bullet seating dies and Decapper. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Do the Reddings and RCBS come with instructions and will they work ok in my Lee Press? Any advice would be greatly apprieciated. Thanks in advance

Posts: 24 | Location: Pearland, TX | Registered: 18 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recommend the Redding Deluxe 3 die set with the neck sizing die included. I do neck size with my WSM until the pressure ring expands over .554 1/2" or so (unless I need to set the shoulder back a hair) and when I buy some new brass if the body of it looks OK. And yes, all standard die brands fit all standard press brands. BM

Bill

Posts: 128 | Location: Hensley, AR | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good advice above.

I have both the Redding type " S " competition die set, and the Hornady New Dimension dies in 300WSM.

No question as to which are better for neck sizing, Redding type " S " rules the roost.
But the hornady dies are a good deal in a standard die, at less than 25% of the cost of the Reddings.

Travis F.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I originaly used a lee die set on my 300WSM and found it was overworking the neck and had me splitting case necks at 5 firings. I went to the Redding full length bushing die with the expander ball removed and have fired cases 11 times with no problems. I hope your chamber is rounder than my winchester is, neck only would not work in my gun.

Posts: 1492 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote