New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trimming hand gun cartridges
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it necessary to trim 9MM, 38Sp, 44 mag and similar cartridges, when reloading?

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2641 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have never done such a thing, and have been doing this for several decades now. This useless exercise is for those who have nothing else to do.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For my handgun cases, nope I don't trim. I started loading pre-web and didn't read/hear of trimming handgun brass until I discovered reloading forums. I don't trim my handgun brass but have been known to measure/trim brand new brass, but that's rare...

My Anchor holds...

Posts: 20 | Location: Southern Oregon Coast | Registered: 03 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well....

With all due respect to posters and opinions already present, there MAY be a need for this activity.

Consider revolver rounds - .44 Mag, .454 Casull, .357 Mag, etc. - that are loaded hot and need to be crimped in order to prevent bullet creep and possible locking up of the cylinder, not to mention providing consistent ignition of large amounts of slow-burning powder. To provide a heavy, consistent crimp for each cartridge, you're going to want them all to be the same length.

I consider case length less critical on semi-auto rounds that can use a taper crimp, but these rounds technically headspace on the case mouth, so depending on your particular chamber and firearm, trimming MAY be a good idea or even necessary.

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
I have 44MAG cases past 20 hot reloadings and none needs trimming.
My 45LC are so old i cull @3% every reloading due to split cases, yet none needs trimming.
Dont even get me started on 45ACP.
So i have trimmers that is NIB for all three calibers

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Things must be very lonely in Montana for someone to trim pistol and revolver cases.

Just sayin'

Gary

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They always have the sheep on these long cold winter nights.
As for crimping, I just loaded 700 45 LC and 38-40s last week and I did notice that the lengths were not all exactly the same, but the crimps still worked and they all shoot quite well for cowboy shooting .

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha. You guys are funny.

If your cases are close enough to the same length, and you're not looking for the utmost in accuracy, then trimming probably isn't necessary. I've got three revolvers that I shoot at longer ranges (100 - 200 yards), and I'll take all the consistency I can get.

To each his own, yes?

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never ever ever have I trimmed a straight walled handgun case and I have loaded many tens of thousands of them. In some where around 10 plus different calibers

If I would ever get to where a hand gun case that needed trimming it would go in the scrap bucket

So JL have you done any group testing on trimmed vs untrimmed

Posts: 19453 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Never ever ever have I trimmed a straight walled handgun case and I have loaded many tens of thousands of them. In some where around 10 plus different calibers

If I would ever get to where a hand gun case that needed trimming it would go in the scrap bucket

So JL have you done any group testing on trimmed vs untrimmed

Nope. Have trimmed for uniformity preemptively.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nope. Have trimmed for uniformity preemptively.

Why too much time and energy for me.

I can't even imagine doing such when running several thousand rounds at a time through one of my progressive loaders.

Even loading limited amounts of hunting ammo I haven't found the need.

It well below zero today here dang I can't even think about doing it now. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well I've only been loading for 40+ years so I'm a newbie. But at least to date I have NEVER trimmed a pistol case. I also don't ever plan to start.

Rifle cases is a different issue.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't trim pistol brass, BUT to really get consistent semi-auto accuracy the cases should be the same length because of the crimp. Whether that means only using one headstamp/lot of brass or trimming to a minimum length is up to the loader/shooter, or be like me and shoot'em the way they come.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
You know this is really funny to read. You mean non of you guys have ever had a revolver case that was so long when it was crimped it bulged the case mouth enough to where it would not fit in the cylinder? So if that's the case, I guess you just throw those away, eh? Personally I do not trim any of my pistol cases, unless they are magnum heavy loads, and then just to eliminate chambering difficulties.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess you just throw those away, eh?

Yep

But only time a heavy crimp for me is heavy magnum loads. The cannelure on my bullets gives me plenty of room I run my 44 mag brass all together. So all of them have the same number of loading. Have never found case length difference to be an issue. coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Paul: Just send me all those cases you want to discard that aren't split, I'll trim and use them.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most straight walled cases don't grow like bottle neck cases do. Like others have said here: been doing this for over 40 years with .45ACP,9MM, .44MAG, .41Mag, .357Mag, .380, .32Auto, and .45-70, and never trimmed.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1073 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most straight walled cases don't grow like bottle neck cases do

Very true I been at it over forty years also, case's crack or one loses them before they ever have to be trimmed.

I can hardly remember one that buckled while crimping.

10 of thousands of 38 357 41 44 357max 45-70 38S@W 32S@W long.

Can't really count the 47-70 or the 357 max I shoot them in single shots and hardly crimp them

Short auto cases like 9mm 45 ect never

Trimming is a waste of time and energy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't trim pistol cases 98% of the time. There was a time when I shot a lot of metal animals. I was doing some experimenting on how to get the most accuracy from different cartridges. Yes I trimmed some pistol cases mostly to make shure they were square. I trim all straight wall rifle cases for the same reason. popcorn
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote