Find
Notify
Tools

338 Ultra / powder burn rate / recoil
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted
I am going to start loading for my m700 338 Ultra Mag.

My goal with this rifle is to load it to reduced velocity, recoil, and pressures, duplicating standard 338 Win Mag ballistics. Sort of like a 416 Rigby I suppose, its got the case capacity to run 400 grainers up to 2600 fps but its normally run at lower pressures @ 2400 fps.

Ok so I have some 200 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips and some 250 gr. Nosler Partitions. Powders on hand are...H4350, H4831, H1000, and Retumbo.

In terms of lowest recoil, what powder would be better? A theoretical load of 83.0 grs. H4350 or 96.0 grs. H1000, both approx. 200 gr. bullets = 3000 fps out of 26" tube. I have heard people say the slower burning powders have less of a sharp kick than the faster burn rate powders...never really tried this out in other cartridges myself.

Just curious as to what some of you guys think would be the best way to go. I don't really need a long range load, and the only reason I got this 338 ultra is because I got a wicked deal on it used.

thanks

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some powders have a sweet spot,mininium pressure at which they burn consistantly,so IMR-7828 and N-560 are out.Good idea,it will be interesting what you come up with.

You can hunt longer with the wind at your back

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .338 RUM is a real kicker,I add a muzzle break.My pet load is 200grs Hornady sp Interlock,H-4831sc(95grs),federal 215,c.o.l 3.585".Playing with col makes a lot of difference,I have some problem with mounts,I have to glue the bases.(Leupold mounts).I fl size with RCBS...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I'd probably try the 4350. I use it in my .338 MAG with a 210 Partition. My rifle is an A-Bolt, which some consider light. I've chronographed my load at 3050 fps. I consider my load to be not bad at all when it comes to recoil. Like you said, more of a push than a sharp recoil.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote