Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

newbie reloader
 Login/Join

posted
I am just starting to reload my own rifle ammo for my 30-06 rifle. I don't shoot all the much so I bought a Lee Hand press and got the Lee Deluxe 3 die rifle set and bought the Lee factory crimp die. I have a few questions about the reloading process.
I have some once fired brass that I fired from another rifle so I used the full length sizer. When I size it appears it only sizes down to within 1/4" of the rim of the case. Thats where the mark ends. Do I need to adjust the die to size all the way to the bottom just above the rim of the case? I made a dummy round and it is hard to chamber that last 1/4" so I assume I need to resize them again. I also trimmed the cases with the Lee case trimmer.
Also when I made a dummy round, I seated the bullet just enough so you could see the top of the cannelure crimp groove. When I chambered the round in my rifle and ejected the round, I noticed that the bullet was pushed in ever so slightly and I can no longer see the cannelure. I am assuming this is the depth I should seat the bullet? I know I do not want to seat them to deep. I mostly reload for target shooting so do I need to use the factory crimp die? My case measures within COL specs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
incorrect, you dont want to seat them too long.. shorten bullet until it just barely shows the rifling grooves on the bullet. then shorten a little more. just a tiny bit. 1/16 inch is common. im suspecting the reason why the bullet wont load is becouse the bullet is too long out of the case.. and loose the crimp die, that is you shouldnt crimp 30-06 if using jacketed bullets if you want accuracy.. only crimp if bullets slide in (or out) of case when laoding or fireing gun like a lever action or revolver. too long of bullet, and crimp can greatly increase pressures.. a little tiny jump will reduce pressures and increase accuracy and give better case and barrel life. start with minimum loads listed in books and work up looking for pressure signals. any good reloading book will explain all this.. buy one NOW!!! good luck dave.

hunter, blackpowder shooter, photographer, gemology, trap shooter,duck hunter,elk, deer, etc..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Your size die is working properly. The die only sizes the wall of the case down to th solid web you`ll see a "mark" at this point that gives the impression it isn`t sizeing further but the solid web doesn`t expand as much -shouldn`t-as the thin walls do.
The other poster gave good advice on bullet seating. I`d add that you should make a dummy round, no powder or primer, and color the bullet as you seat it with a magic marker and watch for the rifleing marks. Seat the bullet a 1/8 turn at a time until the marks disapear and add one more 1/8 turn. Save this dummy to use as a seater check when you go to load this bullet the next time.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your sizing die is working fine. Just be sure to follow Lee's simple instructions when installing the die.

I disagree on the point of the Lee Factory crimp die making ammo less accurate. I my case it has made several loads even more accurate. I find that crimped bullets give more consistency and less deviations. I've tried the Lee FC dies w/ several cart. and it has never degraded accuracy. The rifles that shot sub-moa before still shot sub-moa after being crimped and it gives me that reassurance that each bullet is seated exactly the same in my hunting ammo.

I think it is a good idea to crimp hunting ammo but, as you said, you intend on target shooting so, I would experiment w/ both methods and see what works best in your rifle.

As to seating depth, take a fired case that will chamber in your rifle. Take one of your bullets and wrap a wrap or two of clear (scotch) tape around the base of the bullet, just enough to make the bullet snug in the case mouth. Then, chamber the round, carefully eject, and measure the OAL. do this several times and average the measurement to get the distance to your lands on that particular style/weight bullet. Back off a few Thousandths and "Let er' Bump."

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffffg:
incorrect,.
(Heavy Snips)

I think the original poster was Correct.
He doesn't want to seat em too deep. There is
no good in having a heap of proj. down in the
case.
And more of this seating depth "just off the rifleing" theory. Well some ammo has been
proven to go better 20 thou back, and some
bench resters JAM the proj into the rifleing.
Any more rubbish about excess pressure when
touching the rifleing will send me bonkers.
Cheese, we all have to work up our loads anyway
don't we? What's wrong with a bit of "free"
pressure anyway.
The real worry is extracting a live round and
leaving the proj stuck in the barrel.
And Lee FLS dies are supposed to be set to hit the shell holder I believe.
So, when carefully stuffing around setting my
loads "just off the rifleing" I have to then
shorten them heaps just to fit in the mag.
And no gratuitous remarks please about me being
already bonkers. I've already been called an
idiot today in the Australian posts. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote