THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 rem mag to 416 rem mag brass question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In the pursuit of accuracy we know sometimes chamber necks are cut tight then the brass in neck turned to make it fit in the chamber consistently.
So, I had this idea.
I have a 416 rem mag with a factory chamber. What if I took 458 win mag brass and necked it down. I believe that would result in thicker necks. Those thicker necks could then be cleaned up a little with neck turning and they would fit the factory chamber like a match chamber. Does that make sense?
I'm just bouncing around an idea.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Makes no sense as you will end up with a .416 with no neck; the .458 is 2.5 and the .416 is the full 375 length; 2.85.
I think you are trying too hard on this one. You could start with 458 Lott, or basic 375 length brass, but why?

Posts: 17272 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oops, crap Frowner . Yeah, probably trying too hard.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If you want to jack with it get some belted basic brass. BUT, a 416 Rem is not a br .25MOA rifle. If I had absolutely nothing else to do I still wouldn't do that one. coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo I think i get what you are trying to say.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Would make a great 416 Taylor though. Smiler

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What if I took 458 win mag brass and necked it down

You will end up as said with a 416 Taylor.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
In the pursuit of accuracy we know sometimes chamber necks are cut tight then the brass in neck turned to make it fit in the chamber consistently.
So, I had this idea.
I have a 416 rem mag with a factory chamber. What if I took 458 win mag brass and necked it down. I believe that would result in thicker

necks. Those thicker necks could then be cleaned up a little with neck turning and they would fit the factory chamber like a match chamber. Does that make sense?
I'm just bouncing around an idea.

Sort of a Bass Turd idea, But what ever floats your boat.

Those chamber on the BELT not on the shoulder.

After you shoot come back to us with parameters and we will fine tune

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You want your belted brass cases to fit the chamber on the shoulder for best case life; not on the belt. Belt and chamber dimensions for belted cartridges have a huge tolerance (up to .017), and that does not promote good case life. So, you do not want to rely on the belt if you want long case life.
So, the OP's basic idea is not bad at all, as you suggest. Many belted cartridge shooters strive to make their cases fit the chamber like a regular bottleneck case; NOT relying on the belt to do anything.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While not a br .25moa caliber, it is capable of phenomenol accuracy.

Just a bit over .5 moa and one of the shots to the bottom left, I called at the shot that it was out.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just a bit over .5 moa

Nice group. That would be a great group in just about anything.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wow, Pago, that is good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GOOD!

Not quite.

Fantastic is more adequate.

It just doesn't get any better !!!!!

Those are the kind of groups that I achieved many years ago with my .25-06 custom FN Mauser.

Can we get more info on the rifle and ammo ?.

I certainly want this one to go into my catalog of details to pass along to my Grandson.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may want to check a piece of fired brass out of your Win 70's 416 chamber as the brass will probably be banana shaped & not concentric if it was barreled/chambered by Winchester.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wetibbe,
I have several of the older Remington Custom shop rifles with the 24" heavy barrels from the 60's and 70's. The load is with the 350 Barnes TSX using Varget powder and the Fed 215 primer.
All of the big bores will shoot and most are capable of that kind of accuracy. My Remington .458 will do 5 shots at 100 all touching, no paper left.
I was always led to believe that big bores are only capable of 1 1/2" groups at whatever distance the famous gunwriters were shooting at. I think they are wrong. They are certainly most capable.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was always led to believe that big bores are only capable of 1 1/2" groups

There is no reason to think that a big bore isn't capable. What you run into is many shooters can't handle the recoil, many figure why bother since it is a 150yd rifle anyway, for years I think the quality of accuracy bullets was lacking, more interested in impact performance than accuracy etc etc.

Had a friend that simply stopped at 1.5" because of economics. Figured that was good enough and it was a lot cheaper to work on tight loads with smaller bores

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod,
I agree with the level of recoil tolerance that some hunters have. That is probably one of the biggest factors.
Careful handloading and practice can turn most of these big bores into nice, accurate machines.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I only use those calibers to shoot buffalo, Hippo, and elephant at 10 to 25 yards as a rule, and perhaps a unlucky Kudu or Hartebeest, and on one occasion an elk all at about 150 yards so in my case that would be bordering on psychotic! shocker

Even so, making a bench rest chamber or fit, whatever you call it, when its way better to concentrate on function and reliability with DG calibers, accuracy is normally secondary.

But hey, whatever blows your skirt up, its all fun and games these days.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42149 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote