New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Lock N Load electric scale/trickler
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone use one of these? Looking to upgrade over a manual dispenser and Midway has these on sale for $179 with my "birthday discount."

Posts: 1437 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I had the L&L Electronic powder dispenser and after the 2nd time back to Hornady we worked out a deal for them to just keep it.

Overthrow was the biggest problem

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. I am no great fan of modern electrical devices, but got 'educated' by one of my younger friends.
I did a bunch of research regarding electic reloading tools.
It definitely is a learning curve AND in my opinion totally uneeded/uneccessary.
Having loaded for 35+ cartridges over the last 35+ years, it does not help me w/do anything.
I think it is another 'modern' thing/device that young and uneducated 'wanna be hip/fashionable/modern' types feel they need or must have to be 'cool' or not be a Dino like me.
Also fits in w/ the 'modern' idea/mindset that if it is not electric, it is ancient AND no longer viable.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I had the L&L Electronic powder dispenser and after the 2nd time back to Hornady we worked out a deal for them to just keep it.

Overthrow was the biggest problem

Ted, read the same on a few of the reviews on midways website. Was it a consistent overthrow or variable?

Posts: 1437 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
There was nothing consistent about the unit

I even re-set the parameters to alow a faster slow down but it would still over throw

I can dip or throw light and trickle faster anyway

Use the $200 to buy 8 lbs of powder instead of a fancy digital throw

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[quote]Use the $200 to buy.....
something else you could really use, and save yourself time and frustration.
I bought one a few years ago thinking, mistakenly, it would really jazz up my reloading. What a huge disappointment. I'm convinced it's assembled with junk, unreliable electronics and I didn't trust it's accuracy ( actually lack of.. ). I'm back with the tried and true beam scale weighing of each charge, and I'm content. I can't even be bothered trying to sell the useless unit now gathering dust in a corner.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2050 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Well, I just ordered one myself.

I had studied all of the positive and negative reviews.
My thinking is that proper adjustment will allow useful trickling and speedup. I occasionally need to load up 100 rounds for Africa and have little time to do it. This machine looks like it can make a positive contribution. So I ordered it and it is on its way. As soon as I finalize my load decisions for my wife's 375Rug and my 500AccRelNyati, I'll be loading up 100 of each.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.