Find
Notify
Tools

Dented Brass
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted
I dented a couple pieces of brass resizing. I am pretty new to reloading, and have never had this happen with other calibers. Anyways, its 416 rigby brass, norma case. They have an oval dent right below the shoulder. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I don't have a clue.
Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Mark

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you used too much case lubricant. Use Redding Die Wax; a little bit goes a long way and you don't have to wipe it off (it does not affect the powder).

Just load and fire the case (if it's a small dent). That will iron out the dent.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
The Lee sizing lube works much the same; won't contaminate powder etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot it and the dent will go away.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray's right. The brass will be fine to shoot. What case lube are you using? I have had really good luck using the spray and size from Midway. If need be, the inside case necks can be lubed with mica, but I usually find this unnecessary.

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice. I am using the lee lubricant right now. This never happened before. I guess I just used to much.
Thanks again for the help.
Mark.

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
I agree with GeorgeS You need to lighten up on the lubricant

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
And don't forget to clean the vent holes...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Hellrazor>
posted
The other way this can happen is after tumbling if one stinkin piece of media dont come off and sits on the inside of the die...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
And don't forget to clean the vent holes...

He's right, this would be my guess.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote