New
Find
Notify
Tools

What type of rest
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would think when trying a load and sighting in it would be best to take the human element out of it. I just use sand bags when sighting before deer season. What is the best rest to get a true reading on a load performance

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sandbags are good, as are some of the mechanical rests. (Some are AWFUL).

Probably more important is to make sure that you're sitting comfortably behind the rifle, and can exactly duplicate your hold from shot to shot. Then use the rest that works for you. It's possibly a good idea to start with homemade sandbags (Tip: Filling them with raw sago / rice works well, but keeps the weight down). You can then look around at the ranges and see what's out there in store-bought rests

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shooting from a rest can (will?) give a different zero than shooting from a field position. Double check before hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a National Match Rifle Support Bench Rest. Mostly because I shoot so many big bores and double rifles and it sucks up ALL the recoil. They are expensive but I'm in the hunting and shooting business so its money well spent and deductalbe..

If its a hunting rifle always end the session with testing the zero with your hand under the forend, such as you would shoot in a field position, most of the time there is no change, but ocassionally the zero will be an inch or s0 off, so be sure and check it...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wrightboy, one thing I will add, is that I find it really helps to have a good stable shooting rest setup to have a rear bag. I have a really involved rig with a Sinclair front rest with different tops depending on the rifle I'll be shooting, and a Protektor rear bag which makes a fine setup.

My 'field expedient' setup is the same rear bag and the Dog Gone Good front bag, which is filled with polypropolene regrind (ground up pop bottles--which it smells like for a while)

The Dog-Gone-Good bags are nice bags, and are made by a fellow who is real nice, I have bought a bunch of bags from him, giving 6 sets away to friends as gifts..... I'd try that setup myself, not real costly, and easy to set up, plus--for me--gives same accuracy as setting the fore-end of the rifle on say the rail of a deer stand, or even when I hold in my palm, nestling the rifle against a tree or post or whatever.

Good shooting--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daveo
posted Hide Post
I use a benchmaster the cadillac of rifle rests.
works fine for me and has held up well. BOOM

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesA home brewed rest with a knited carpet seems to work just fine. Eekerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightboy:
I would think when trying a load and sighting in it would be best to take the human element out of it.
Hey wrightboy, I understand where you are coming from, but I've found just the opposite to be more of an advantage than a detriment.

I've seen all kinds of gizmos and devices at Ranges, intended to do just what you mentioned. Not all the time, but a very high percentage of the time, the person using the gizmo would have profitted in the long run by tossing the gizmo.

The farther you remove yourself from the firing and recoil sequence, the less you condition yourself to the actual shooting. The older I get, the more I realize all the "practice" I got in my youth helped me more than anything else. Just getting the Trigger Time on a Load, whether it is accurate or not, still hones your mental shooting acuity.

quote:
I just use sand bags when sighting before deer season.
I do to when getting a new Load Zeroed in. Or when Developing a new Load.

quote:
What is the best rest to get a true reading on a load performance
I prefer to shoot just as I will when actually Hunting. This is the most important shooting to me, because it gives a real indication of how far the groups open at any distance I care to shoot.

Once the actual Hunting Position Groups get too big, I either need to Practice more, Develop a better Load, or simply recognize and accept the Max Distance for my current ability/rifle/load. I use a group 1/2 the size of what I think I will actually need to make a clean Kill as the Limit.

For example, the Deer I've got the most experience with are typically 14"-16" from the bottom of the Chest to the top of the Withers. Reduce the area to the Worst Case Kill Zone and that would be right at 10"-12", so I'd use 10". Then what ever distance I practice that I can keep all the Bullets inside 5" becomes my Limit, whatever it happens to be.

This Method eliminates excuses and wounded Game.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I prefer a leather rabbit ear bag filled with sand for the rear and a Caldwell "The Rock" front rest for the front. I fill the bag for the front rest with lead shot. Both of these on a concrete bench with proper form should work well for you.

Good luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote