Find
Notify
Tools

seating to cannalure
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
I have some 130 grain hornaday SST's that I reloaded tonight. I noticed the normal seating depth that i have been using puts these bullets now where near close to the cannalure. Is there anything wrong with not seating up close to the cannalure??

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Manufacturers change specs and cannelure placement often. If your rounds work through your gun don't worry about it, unless you need to crimp which it doesn't seem like you do. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the cannelure is there I like to use it especially from .375 H&H and up, for hunting accuracy using or not using the cannelure would not in my opinion cause a miss on pig sized game.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<harkm>
posted
I still don't understand why Hornady does this. I tried seating to the cannelure once. Only once as the 5 shot groups opened up to 3.5 inches! Actually, I shot 4 5-shot groups and none of them were smaller than 3.5 inches. Now, I will always seat them to where the book says and ignore the cannelure. It looks so damn ugly though. [Mad]

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by harkm:
It looks so damn ugly though. [Mad]

That's funny. I think it looks kind of cool.

RSY
[Cool]

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote