THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    It's getting harder to work up loads as I get older.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's getting harder to work up loads as I get older.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I turned 60 last week.

I went to work up 250 grain TTSX loads for the 375 H&H and brought along the 22.250 AI with some 36 grain Varmint Grenades.

I got the targets up and then figured out that I forgot my chronograph's sky screens.

Got the ammo out and had the 375 H&H loads, the 22.250 AI loads and some 270 Win loads(?)

Got the rifles out and I had brought the 458 Win Mag and the 22.250 AI. I keep all the wood stocked guns in silicon sleeves and I guess I just grabbed the wrong gun sleeve, felt the front site hood and just figured out that I had the 375. I still don't know why I packed along the 270 Win loads though.

I shot all right with the 22.250 so I haven't lost it all, yet.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
They say we slow down with age but I think most of the time lost is just walking around looking for stuff, trying to remember where we put it.

Posts: 5119 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
homerYou've been focusing on your Avatar for too many years. I still don't believe it's your picture

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you think it's bad at 60, just wait 'til you get to be 70; now what was it that I came here for?

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or 73! I can hide my own Easter eggs.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
As i get older i find that i only have 2 illnesess:
CRS (cant remember sh!t)
CSS (cant see sh!t)
And my memory isnt to good either!

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Actually, I think I am better now at reloading than before when I was younger.

I no longer search for that illusive, non existence accuracy.

I decide before hand what accuracy I expect from any particular rifle, and once I get it, I stop.

getting 1/2 inch group from a hunting rifle is plenty good enough.

I do not try to make it a 1/4 incher.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
There is so much I identify with in this thread that it is tragic.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You are just a spring chicken.
Work up loads? I no longer have time for such luxuries. Pick a load from the book and go with that. It always works. No more chasing the max performance, any more. The animals are just as dead and giving up a quarter MOA is more efficient.
Time.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Age is only a number.
Keep on shooting!

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that but usually only with the pistol range which is 2 minutes away. I've brought the wrong ammo a few times.

Since the rifle range is 1 1/2 hrs away I usually lay out everything on a table before stuffing it in the range bag and still I've forgotten muffs and a tripod for the spotter once.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to my world, Im lucky if I can find my shop these days...I have to be very careful with my reloading these days, Some seem to think I should have been more carefull in the past, but I proved them wrong as Im still reloading, posting, shooting and roping best I recall! moon rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will very soon be 58 and I get better the older I get. I am shooting better and my groups are smaller. My loading is more focused. The answer to mental acuity and aging is simply to make the effort to stay focused and engaged on something. If we start doing a different activity later in life it helps even more. I have a lathe on order and will also be getting a milling machine. I have never used either before, and not only will I no longer have to wait for a gunsmith, I’ll be growing new neural pathways in my brain.

I am going to get older, but I will absolutely not become elderly.......

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTJ:
I will very soon be 58 and I get better the older I get. I am shooting better and my groups are smaller. My loading is more focused. The answer to mental acuity and aging is simply to make the effort to stay focused and engaged on something. If we start doing a different activity later in life it helps even more. I have a lathe on order and will also be getting a milling machine. I have never used either before, and not only will I no longer have to wait for a gunsmith, I’ll be growing new neural pathways in my brain.

I am going to get older, but I will absolutely not become elderly.......

AMEN to that! I love tinkering with the lathe and mill! A couple years back, I threaded my Mauser barrel shank perfectly after not having run a lathe in 30 years. You have to keep the mind active!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For some reason I often forget to turn my chrony off when I pack up, but at least I have learned to keep a few extra batteries in the jeep.I never quit tinkering. When I get a bullet that just won't work I load the remainder them up at med velocity and use them for 25/50 yard off hand practice while my barrel cools on the one I am working up loads for. I am fortunate as my range is right behind my house. Also, I have had groups just like that and have no clue as to why.

Posts: 1102 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a relative youngster at 53 by comparison to you gents but I am happy to see my elders are continuing to shoot their rifles, reload, hunt and stay active.

I intend to follow in your footsteps as long as I can still see them and I remember where the hell they are located. Big Grin

Posts: 452 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
out of the mouth of baby's and old men comes the truth I can relate also

Posts: 66 | Location: mn | Registered: 01 February 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All kidding aside, I started to decline in many ways at about 82, One tends to think they are aging at 60 but that's mostly a mind game they are playing, All you have to is MOVE and keep MOVEING to slow down the process...Your physical ability starts at about 75 and the mental ability, mostly memory slows down pretty much in your late 70s with some and in the mid 80s with others..Your computer brain is overloaded with knowledge!! tu2 old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote