New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tried out my new rotary molly coating tumbler
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
[URL= ]A[/URL] [URL= ]B[/URL] It's the NECO kit.Good results on these 308 155 grainers.I save 50 dollars off a box of 500 by coating them myself.I also coat all my hunting bullets,Partitions,A-frames,TSX,etc...I coated these today.These are before and three hours later photos.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
$50 saved by doing them yourself? That is excellent savings, and you have the satisfaction of having done the work yourself. They look really good.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,Nitroman.They would have more of a shine if I polished them with untreated media afterwards but I did not have some on hand.I used the lyman method before, but this is way allows me to coat more bullets each time in a tumbler(Diamond Pacific VR-6)that will last a lifetime.I coated around 250 at a time.It is a quiter way to coat too.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is my home made tumbler. Easy to make from
salvage parts. I have plated 1000nds of bullets with this machine. The timer at $25 is the most expensive part.

Used washing machine 1/3Hp motor. A few 1/2' pullies and two 1/2" rods. several coffee tins,
Steel shot, and a Noma garden timer.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ZERMEL:
Here is my home made tumbler. Easy to make from
salvage parts. I have plated 1000nds of bullets with this machine. The timer at $25 is the most expensive part.

Used washing machine 1/3Hp motor. A few 1/2' pullies and two 1/2" rods. several coffee tins,
Steel shot, and a Noma garden timer."

Now that I like!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are some 500 grain A-Frames.[URL= ]500gr A-Frames[/URL] I will not wax these and I will leave the excess moly on.They will smoothen out while they are handled by hand during the reloading process,etc...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway

What is the point of leaving all that loose moly on the bullets? All it does is create fouling.

I drop my bullets on an old bath towel and rub them clean and then wax them for 1.5 min with powdered carnauba wax in the tumbler.

Very little rubs off when handling the bullets.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

one of us
posted Hide Post
ZERMEL, I am worried the waxing might effect accuracy.The loose molly will come off when I handle the bullets again and again,besides I am out of clean untreated corn cob media.My most accurate bullets ever where unwaxed,molly coated Hornady A-Max bullets in 167 grains.I think the wax might interfere with the mollys performance.I don't mind if my barrel gets really mollied-up,it may cut down on copper fouling.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway.
I never made any Moly bullets without the wax. I use the same procedure as NECO. I think most people overdo the waxing. 3.0gr for 2-300 6mm bullets is all I use in a seperate drum with steel shot.No more than 3.0 min. The 1.5 min above was wrong. I shoot these bullets in both HBR and group benchrest matches never had any problems with accuracy.

I minimal clean after each match 25shots plus sighters. Two fouling shots is all I need to put the barrel back to sight.

When I am done with the bullets they are nice and shiny. I also do my hunting bullets same procedure 7mm and 25cal 100 TSX. My hunting rifles are super accurate with these bullets. I can't tell you whether there is any difference in accuracy when using wax.

Norma has a big test write up using wax with the 6.5 match bullets. Can't find the URL right now.

I tried cleaning the bullets with corncobs medea, but found the old bath towel faster and easier. The towel is easy to clean on the lawn with a garden hose when it gets too loaded with moly.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do mine in a small barrel tumbler with a plastic jar inside with moly and steel shot.
I take them out and sift the excess moly off them separate the steel shot. Then I put them in an old coffee can and wash them with hot soapy water, dump them in an old collander and rinse them with hot water then blow them with compressed air before dumping them out on a stack of about half dozen old towels,roll them and dump them to the next towel. After the fifth or sixth towel they are shiny and bright ,and dont make a real mess when you handel them.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YUMAN,was that a joke? You wash the molly coated bullets in hot soapy water??

one of us
posted Hide Post
YES ! ! !

It gets the excess moly off so you dont have a mess handling them. They come out so shiney and black.

Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote