New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parent Case for 220 Swift
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know, I know....6mm Lee Navy. Tried finding these suckers lately? In South Africa?

220 Swift cases are not that easily gotten in these parts, I need to make some from a case that is easily available. Is the semi rim a major issue?

OK what can I use that is readily available, I am thinking 7X57, or 6mm Remington (although those are scarce as well) or 6.5X55 Swedish.

Any Ideas would be welcome!

Cheers

Pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i just peeked in howells book. he suggests use 220 swift brass. twice! i guess there is a loong process with 06' brass but will only leave you with reduced load only brass.
sorry
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,

Why don't you just ask around the forums and see who is going to be headed out that way next. You can by 220 Swift brass by the truckload in the USA. I'm sure someone would throw a couple boxes of brass in their luggage and get it to you when they arrive in RSA if you asked politely.

I take things to friends over there every time I go and am sure others do the same. Just a suggestion.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Gerard Schultz>
posted
Pete,
Both my girls had Swifts and eventually we gave up on the brass. I lengthened a 22-250 reamer to cut a chamber 64mm in length and the same diameter as a 30-06 / 270 ahead of the groove. We start with 270 cases, neck to 25 with 25-06 and then to 22 with a 22-250 sizer and fireform with Swift loads. Once fire formed, the fun starts. We use S361, S365 duplex S335/S365 whatever, and do not worry about case capacity. I hunted springbuck and blesbuck with one of these this past season and enjoyed it a lot. The second rifle we are rebarreling to a 1:8 twist so that we can use longer bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i know things are complicated as far as trans-continetial shipping but with the internet can't
ya just order some from one of the suplyers in a
diffrent country people in the u.s. order stuff
over the net from all over the world.
they won't let you?? [Confused]

Posts: 63 | Location: ga | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Gerard Schultz>
posted
sr25
It is not a matter of availability, we frequently order cases from Huntington, but with the Swift, cost is a consideration. We get locally made PMP 270 cases at less than half the price of importing Remington 220 Swift cases. Sometimes going to the shooting range late on a Saturday, will yield a couple of dozen once fired PMP cases for the price of bending over and picking them up.

I used to turn the rim level with the case body on the Swift cases after we had feeding problems with both our Swifts. Our 22x64 (22-06 Easling)cases will probably outlast the Swifts as well.