THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it ok to give away handloaded ammunition?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As I am developing loads for commercial purposes down the road (finally) it would be nice to be able to send samples out for you all to shoot, chronograph and check for accuracy.

The statistics of a given cartridge load working well in several different rifles in several different hands is very powerful.

That way, when I have the separate structure for selling ammunition in place, and hang the 006 FFL up, I will be set to start cranking out the final iteration of the ammunition.

Thanks for the feedback!

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if that is legal or not - but the one thing I do know is you would still be liable for any damages.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
In this case I think that you would be better off with a signed waiver for this unless you have insurance to cover liability. I'm sure that you load a quality product, but as this is a business venture and not handing ammo to a friend or two it would be for your protection. If I lived closer I'd probably be one of your volunteers.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Waiver, I don't need no stinkin waiver.....send me so ammo lawndart

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One good thing re: liability, the last of my money went to pay for my chemotherapy medicine. All I have is a 10 year old German Short Haired Pointer, a twenty year old Nissan pickup truck, a head full of ballistic knowledge and a laboratory book full of very good recipes.

So far, I have made >20,000 safe and accurate cartridges in my misbegotten existence. Strict quality assurance and moderate pressures in strong brass is the only good pro-active liability control. I will get the insurance policy and the 006 sooner than later.

Who sells that type of insurance in this world full to the brim with scaredy cats, wimps and worse??

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Never get between a man and his dog. I wasn't infering that you made bad ammo just that their are a lot of people out there that want a free ride. My guess for actually buying the insurance when you are ready would be call your regular agent and start with "So, I was wonderin..."

I hope you are refering to the real lawn darts that had the 4 inch point and lead weight on them that we used to throw at each other. It is amazing we made it through our childhood.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Sam,

No, I was being tongue-in-cheek. When the time comes I will have to buy "errors and omissions" insurance.

When I flew F-16 jet fighters the "bad" nick name for them was "the lawndart" because so many crashed in the first two years. That was mainly from using, get this, aluminum wire for the "fly by wire" controls. Also, the original F-100 engines were made by Pratt & Whitney. Let's just say that the General Electric F-101 engines were an order of magnitude better.

One day while getting fuel from a tanker at 24,000 feet, my F-100 engine blew its oil seals. You really can land a $33,000,000.00 glider IF there is 8,000 feet of runway with a departure end cable within your sudden 10 degree look down view of the world. BTW, that A model bird only had 14 million foot pounds of braking ability on tap. The book numbers were excessively cautious about the speed to mantain over the fence. At 6,000 feet down the runway the brakes just...went away. Catching the departure end cable was quite a relief.

The tower first denied my plan to land at that field. I said, "what part of the word e-m-e-r-g-e-n-c-y can you not spell." On short final I was told that they couldn't raise the cable because it was scheduled for maintenanc the next day (this was not in the notams). Though I was sort of busy, I did manages to say, "If you don't raise the cable, I will eject before the plane flips in the ditch past the over run, and I will come up there and beat-you-to-death-with-my-own-hands-and-feet."

His supervisor must have just leaned over and flipped the cable button to the up position. I was not a very nice guy while flying, but I am still alive.

That was fun throwing those Lawndarts and Jarts at each other in the 1960's.

I love making ammunition, so I will find a way to cough up for the insurance.

LD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One day while getting fuel from a tanker at 24,000 feet, my F-100 engine blew its oil seals.

I'd have pointed that boat anchor at an open piece of land, rode it down as far as I could and bailed, letting it auger-in to its heart's content. Then your only problem is not landing in it...

I was in Tucson at the University of Arizona in 1977 or early '78 when an A-7, I think it was, didn't make the field at Davis-Monthan south of the city. It landed in an intersection just a few blocks south of the big commons on which we all sat around between classes. Three on the ground were killed. The pilot ejected safely. The investigation revealed that airplane had been having problems before it crashed. Pilot said he flew it from someplace in Florida to Tinker. It was chugging or some stuff between Tinker and Tucson. It flamed out as he approached, and he was not going to make it. He crashed it into the intersection and the rest is history. I'm sure you could find the investigation if you wanted to read about it. Maybe not. Even now, my sympathies for the lost and the survivors...

Per the ammo, I use 300WSM and .223Rem. I'll take as much as you want to send to me...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
absolutely - in fact i'm working up some loads for obama now BOOM shocker

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch: I don't care about your politics and might even share them, but that's a dumb thing to say. Please delete it as it reflects poorly on all of us and there is no good to come of it. I'll delete this post as soon as yours is deleted.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't you think he'd shoot my reloads?

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
absolutely - in fact i'm working up some loads for obama now BOOM shocker

Hell, I even got that one....funny dancing

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Eric Holder is coming for a visit Butch !.

You better be serving something mighty good for supper !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fuck Holder, he'll be replaced within 6 months now that the heat's turning up on this NYC terrorist trial. Geitner's head is on the chopping block as well. Just watch how the rats turn on each other when the shit hits the fan. Hell congress is even talking about giving Bernanke the boot.

That was a dumb thing to say though Butch. I wouldn't give Obama any reloads, he'll redistribute them soon enough as it is.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is legal, for personal use only.
Check the ATFB web site.
Don

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I am waiting for my first box or box's of "personal use" ammo.

I can give you a list of my chamberings, lawndart thumb

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
When I flew F-16 jet fighters the "bad" nick name for them was "the lawndart" because so many crashed in the first two years. That was mainly from using, get this, aluminum wire for the "fly by wire" controls. Also, the original F-100 engines were made by Pratt & Whitney. Let's just say that the General Electric F-101 engines were an order of magnitude better.

One day while getting fuel from a tanker at 24,000 feet, my F-100 engine blew its oil seals. You really can land a $33,000,000.00 glider IF there is 8,000 feet of runway with a departure end cable within your sudden 10 degree look down view of the world. BTW, that A model bird only had 14 million foot pounds of braking ability on tap. The book numbers were excessively cautious about the speed to mantain over the fence. At 6,000 feet down the runway the brakes just...went away. Catching the departure end cable was quite a relief.

The tower first denied my plan to land at that field. I said, "what part of the word e-m-e-r-g-e-n-c-y can you not spell." On short final I was told that they couldn't raise the cable because it was scheduled for maintenanc the next day (this was not in the notams). Though I was sort of busy, I did manages to say, "If you don't raise the cable, I will eject before the plane flips in the ditch past the over run, and I will come up there and beat-you-to-death-with-my-own-hands-and-feet."

His supervisor must have just leaned over and flipped the cable button to the up position. I was not a very nice guy while flying, but I am still alive.

That was fun throwing those Lawndarts and Jarts at each other in the 1960's.

I love making ammunition, so I will find a way to cough up for the insurance.

LD

One of the most entertaining stories I've read on here in a long time... thanks Lawndart! And thank you for your service. I don't know the circumstances of your need for chemo, but I wish you all the luck with it and your future business endeavors. Godspeed!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I shoot a wide variety of rifle and some pistol, I have my own range and chronograph and normally shoot my own loads for accuracy although I am a hunter and not a benchrest competitor I pride my self on accurate groups.
I would shoot your ammo with no qualms if you told me the recipe for each batch you want me to try. No waiver necessary here unless it makes you feel good.
My range is at 6,800 feet above sea level so my tests may differ from you lowland shooters. I can shoot in zero degrees to about 90 degrees temperature.
Let me know if you need a test dummy!

Interesting thread!

I have weapons to shoot the following
32 ACP
38/357 rifle and pistol
45ACP and 45LC
.410, 20, 16, 12guage
22/250
.257 Roberts
6.5x55
264 Win Mag
.270 WCF and .270 WSM
7mm-08
.284 Win
30/30
.300 Savage
.303 Savage
30/06
300WSM
325WSM
.358 Win
35 Whelen
9.3x62
375 H&H
458 Win Mag

Friends of mine have some others that would be available to test rounds in.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote