Notify
Tools

MY 308 LOADS HAVE LOOSE BULLETS!!!!
 Login/Join

<Aussie Hunter>
posted
Hi Everyone.
I'm currently loading for a rebarreled sako in 25"
match barrel. I'm using the standard Redding Deluxe dies. I loaded up some rounds today and found that some of the projies can be moved with a little finger pressure. I'm partially full length resizing once-fired winchester Palma match brass, per Reddings prefered method. I measured the neck expander on the die and compared that to the projectile diameter: Sierra gameking 165, 180gr, Nosler B/tip 125, 150, 165gr and Sierra 220gr match. On average there is 0.001 inches difference between projies and expander die.
Is this too much difference??? Is partial full length resizing the problem??? Has Redding supplied the wrong expander( 0.3066"-0.3067" is the measured diameter with a micrometer)

Any advise?
Thanks,
Aussie Hunter

PS Have shot 0.24MOA with 165gr Gameking @100m.
Anyone out there also having this sort of problem?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Hunter:
Hi Everyone.
I'm currently loading for a rebarreled sako in 25"
match barrel. I'm using the standard Redding Deluxe dies. I loaded up some rounds today and found that some of the projies can be moved with a little finger pressure. I'm partially full length resizing once-fired winchester Palma match brass, per Reddings prefered method. I measured the neck expander on the die and compared that to the projectile diameter: Sierra gameking 165, 180gr, Nosler B/tip 125, 150, 165gr and Sierra 220gr match. On average there is 0.001 inches difference between projies and expander die.
Is this too much difference??? Is partial full length resizing the problem??? Has Redding supplied the wrong expander( 0.3066"-0.3067" is the measured diameter with a micrometer)

Any advise?
Thanks,
Aussie Hunter

PS Have shot 0.24MOA with 165gr Gameking @100m.
Anyone out there also having this sort of problem?

This can occour with various die/gun/brass combos and isn't hard to solve...just chuck the expander in a drill or lathe and polish the expander ball/bulge to a smaller diameter.....usually .002 to .003 smaller than the diameter of the bullet....have you measured your brass neck wall thickness? this is usually a problem with thin walled cases or just could be a larger sized expander....and normal walled cases.... in a bolt gun you don't need as much tension but for autos it is a must...good luck and good shooting/loading!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've experienced a similar problem with my .308 too - in this case, my neck sizing die wasn't being applied with enough leverage to properly resize the neck of some fairly thick mil surplus brass. A bit more elbow grease did the trick but brought about the well-known Lee press toggle bracket premature failure.

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Aussie Hunter>
posted
Thanks Guys,
I'll look into it further.
Aussie Hunter [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aussie Hunter:

I once had a similar problem with my 30-06, and it turned out that I'd bent the needle in my sizing die. The expander ball was being pulled out of the case at an angle, and was making an over-sized neck opening.

Rick

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a brass problem to me. Check neck wall thickness compared to a factory (commercial load) case. I bet the Palma Match is MUCH thinner, for tight Match chambers.

[ 07-25-2002, 09:16: Message edited by: wingnut ]

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
Aussie Hunter,

Necks should expand about .003" when a bullet is seated. The .308 Win. neck brass is very thick when compared to other case neck thickness. If the necks of your cases is in the neighborhood of .015" a standard sizing die will not reduce the necks enough to hold the bullets. I turn my case necks and as a result have this problem quite often. The solution I've found is the Redding Competition sizing die. This Die neck sizes only, and uses a bushing to do the actual sizing. The bushings are available in .001" increments. I've tried different sized bushings just tosee if it would effect accuracy. I've not done enough testing yet to have a solid answer. Cases that donot hold a bullet securely may result in the bullet moving deeper into the case. This may result in dangerous pressures. I hope that this is of some help. Good luck. [Smile]