New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Hornady brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
AC, I have 220Swift brass and it is junk tried to reload once fired Frontier/Hornady brass it sticks and pulls out of shell holder. I havent had trouble with win brass or any other brass first time with this sh** to soft or something .
I used One Shot Lube and they still stick RCBS dies no trouble before
MTHunter

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I think that probably just proves the points I was trying to explain.

As you will note in an above post, Frontier apparently was not a Hornady produced brass, but was reportedly made by Winchester for loading by Hornady. If that is the case (bad pun) you have one good bunch of Winchester brass, and one poor bunch of Winchester brass. "Winchester" brass is, incidentally, not made by the current "Winchester" maker of rifles, but by Olin.

(And, incidentally, Olin has been a very good stock for the last couple of years while lots of other things were in the investor's toilet. It pays dividends every year, and has gone up in the last few years from around $11 to as high as $18 or more. Any U.S. company that makes war supplies is pretty much always a good bet...seems as if we are always either in one or approaching one.)

Anyway, I am not trying to hype Hornady brass. Simply reporting that my experience with their recent brass has been good, and that the only way to find out how well a particular lot of brass will work in your gun is to try it.

Best wishes,

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with you on the variance from lot to lot when it comes to the winchester(thus frontier also)/remington stuff. I think if you use winchester/ remington manufactured brass you better purchase a bunch of it from one lot and then mic around the necks of quite a few of them to make sure concentricity is good. If they are out of wack you better send ALL back and try again. I learned that lesson the hard way with remington brass in my 22-250. Big difference from one lot to another (actually, 2 lots manufactured 4 years apart).

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use new Hornady Brass in 376 Steyr, 458 Lott, and 480 Ruger. I use Lapua brass in 308 Winchester and 220 Russian (for 6PPC USA). My assesment to date is that the NEW Hornady manufactured Brass is very good. The Lapua Brass is excellent.
The guns I use the Hornady stuff for all kick like the devil. The Lapua brass'd guns all shoot several bullets into small holes. Why this would matter I haven't a clue...... ......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

To add more tickets in the tombola

Norma and Laupa manufactures brass, and trades between them. Soo it's sometimes hard to say who manufactures what. Norma and RWS is in the same corperation RUAG. I gotten some Norma ammo that was made by RWS

Some of the metric calibers from Winchester is made and loaded by Norma. Soo, is some of the federal ammo. Norma also produces some private brand products for other companies

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yah, Hornady states that when they can purchase large lots of lapua brass for a discount price they sell it as well. I'm not sure whether that is for some of their premium loaded ammunition or if they sell that with their bulk brass (I'd imagine hornady headstamps it afterwards. I don't know).

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Right on, Johan -

I also have a "tropical pack" of factory "Kynoch" .404 Jeffrey 400 gr. solids (loaded ammo) the components of which were made presumably by Norma. At least it is printed as part of the Kynoch label as

"made by Imperial Metal Industries (Kynoch) Limited

Birmingham 6, England

From Swedish Components"

Historically, on occasion Remington, Federal, and Winchester have also made brass for each other, with the appropriate headstamps. This has usually (but not exclusively) occured with cartridges where the amount sold annually was not sufficient to justify each company setting up for and making independent runs of brass.

So, I guess it is more and more apparent that a person is not always able to precisely know WHO made WHAT, that one might be about to use. Hence, you can only tell if it will work well in your guns, under your conditions, with your loads, by trying it yourself. (Not meaning you specifically, Johan, but the great general "You" which pretty much includes everyone except the plant workers who actually made the brass they themselves are about to use.)

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote