New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a manual powder measure/dispenser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was thinking about getting a progressive press, but I'm too poor.
The real time consuming part of reloading on a single stage is measuring each charge by hand.

I've decided that if I got a powder measure then that would be all I needed to make good progress loading ammo.

So now I'm in the market for a powder measure.
I was to keep my reloading as low cost as I can so I'll get a manual powder measure.

I typically load Blue Dot, Unique, Lil'gun, and Varget

My questions to yall are:
-which models are decently accurate and consistent?
-which models are easy to change charge weights?
-which models are easy to change powder?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fumbler,

Harrell's Precision, http://www.harrellsprec.com/index.html, makes a top-line powder measure. It is not least cost for initial purchase price, but it is least cost over a life-time of precision loading.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I bet those are really nice...

How bout this, I'd like to limit the price to $150 (preferably less than $100) including everything I need to load pistol and rifle charges.

one of us
posted Hide Post
how much ammo do you load?

lee's dipper set is inexpensive and lasts a lifetime.

dipper measuring is surprisingly consistent, but of little practical use if you load in large quantities.

for that matter, depending on how many fireamrs you load for, the lee loader might work well for you as well. purchasing the dipper set along with the loader will allow you to experiment and play with loads a bit. after that, all you need is a case trimmer and you're set, AND well within budget.

check out www.leeprecision.com. the stuff is practical, affordable and, contrary to popular opinion, it won't all apart as you take it out of the box.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
WinkSince my 50 some year old Redding is showing a little ware I've picked up a number of powder meassures or dispensers from Lee dippers to Lyman 1200 Probably the most accurate is the Lyman but it is slow. My RCBS is good but than so is the Lee Perfect once you have it set up right. I would advise you invest less than $20.00 and try the Lee first. coffeeroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re. Lee Perfect........leaks all over the place with small fine grain ball type powder & when I cross check on electronic scales, maybe a whole grain off, BUT great on stick powders as bridging is reduced, my own experiences. r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ray in seattle:
Re. Lee Perfect........leaks all over the place with small fine grain ball type powder & when I cross check on electronic scales, maybe a whole grain off, BUT great on stick powders as bridging is reduced, my own experiences. r in s.

Had the same problem ,Ray, till I started to work with the surfaces and handle screw. It's not PERFECT but not bad. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
I currently have a Harrell, and a Lee, and a Redding. I have had RCBS Uniflow, Lyman, and C&H. If I had it all to do over again, I would get a RCBS Uniflow, (with both large and small rotors) and call it a day. I love the Harrell, and the Redding but they really doesn't do much better than the RCBS. And since you are loading flake powder, you will find that the small rotor for the Uniflow will give you very satisfactory results.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redding 3BR. Same money as UniFlow with micrometer inserts and baffle.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Originally posted by ray in seattle:

Had the same problem ,Ray, till I started to work with the surfaces and handle screw. It's not PERFECT but not bad. beerroger

I have one of these and it works perfectly with ball powders as well as both flake and stick powders.

So, I talked a friend into buying one and he had the same problems described here. He called Lee, and they told him to adjust the tension screw (the one in the middle of the drum). Now his works great too.

I also have a Lyman, three Dillons, a Jones (about $300 today!!), a Redding, and a couple of electronic powder measures. Still, If I just want to load 20-50 rounds of something, I drag out the Lee. Once properly adjusted, whether at the factory or at home, it works very well.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
how much ammo do you load?

lee's dipper set is inexpensive and lasts a lifetime.

I don't load much right now just cause it's such a pain in the butt to measure powder.
If I could, in a month I'd want to load a couple hundred 9mm, a hundred or two of 357, a hundred 480 Ruger. Some 308 mixed in, but not a lot.

I really want to be able to load a lot of 9mm for plinking.

I've tried the dippers but I hate them. You just have to do every single little movement exactly the same.
I can't really get the hang of it.

Anyone else have experience with the RCBS Uniflow, Redding 3BR, or Lee Perfect?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Uniflow and love it. Clunk up,clunk down, seems to be very consistant with all powders and consistant even when its almost empty.

The main trick is to make sure the Clunk down is solid and consistant to settle the next charge into the hole.

I use it in my Progressive for .45 and use it on the short drop for weighing .308. It always seems to drop the same exact amount.

Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves. - Lord Byron

"They were not killing each other under Saddam."-Saaed

Posts: 407 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SC_Gunner
posted Hide Post
For handgun ammo, I find the Lee Pro Auto Disk to be a wonderful measure. I've used it with Bullseye, Unique, and W231 and haven't had any problems with leaks. I've also used it with Varget, BL-C(2), RL15, and IMR4895, all with the double disk, for .223 and .308. I did notice some very minimal leakage with the stick powders. For pistol ammo, I wouldn't take a gold guinea for it. ~Marc

Posts: 46 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 29 January 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of shooter44
posted Hide Post
I have a lee pro 1000, with auto disk, and all the bells and whistles. I'd sell it all for 125.00 plus 15-20.00 shipping

head shot's don't leave blood trails

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, the best currently available measure is the Belding & Mull. A very high quality repro is being made by MVA. I load for about thirty different rifle cartridges from 22 Hornet to 50-110 and it does stick and ball powder equally well. Easily a tenth-grain hold, and ninety-percent of the weighed charges are dead on. Under $200 including shipping.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Look at the quick measure it will charge 100 loads in 4 minutes. they also make an adapter to mount it on a progressive press when you get one. www.quick-measure.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What press are you using for your reloading? If you have any form of multi-station press I would recommend the Lee Auto-disk pro. I use one with the double-disk kit on an old turret press and it has been very good. It can provide very repeatable loads quickly and easily. I also use it with the rifle charging die to throw loads up to light 30-06. Case activation of the measure is very fast....

I also have a Redding Benchrest powder measure that is extremely accurate....but not nearly as convienient for pistol loads.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan H:
What press are you using for your reloading?

I'm using a Lee Classic Cast single stage.
shooter44's Lee Pro 1000 is mighty tempting...but I'm looking to spend as little as possible.

The Lee Pro Auto Disk has gotten a lot of good reviews and a friend of mine has one and says it's better than his more expensive measures.
Should be a good deal when I'm loading less than max plinking loads.