posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ted thorn:
Beeman...... stir

As usual

Keep in mind old Peeman is nothing more than a paper puncher. It has been discussed before.[/QUOTE)
When was this discussed? I guess I missed it. Maybe I was out punching paper. Or game. I like to do both and have done a lot of both. 'Course you've got the guys that pull their rifles out once a year, find that partial box of ammo they have left over from last year, go out and shoot it a couple of times, and then go kill something. And then spend the rest of their time pounding their chest in cyberspace. I do know a lot. Not everything but a lot. I do know when a smartass that brings very little to the table is jerking my chain.

Beeman

You are entertaining......if nothing ese

Just two questions

Have you ever posted a hunt report on AR?

Have you ever posted a picture of yourself for any reason on AR?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No and no. What's your point? I've posted what I considered was helpful hints on hunting and shooting and reloading. Crawling 200 yards thru the sage and grass to get a 200 yards shot on an antelope doesn't really sound that exciting. But that to me is hunting.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
In my experience, Accubonds are more accurate than partitions. However, Partitions have served me well since the mid 1950s. I have never had a terminal ballistics failure of a Nosler Partition bullet.
They are not a "super" bullet. When driven within their design parameters they do what they say they will do. Every time!
That's good enough for me!

What Rusty said!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Nosler Partitions are my favorite. I've shot all kinds of premium bullets and love to experiment but if I come up with a good load with NPs that's the one I keep in my load files. I have not found NPs to be any less accurate overall than anything else. Also if a guy thinks there are much better bullets for thin skinned game he has not shot much of anything with the NPs. They expand rapidly and go off like a grenade in the chest cavity but they also usually exit. What's not to love.

Mark

I will most definitely swing with this. All of it.

IME if you can't get Partitions to shoot the problem is with the rifle....not the bullet.

I've only killed with them pretty effectively out to 500 yards or so; never had an issue with whether they would perform for me on game from brown bear to coyotes,and even dinky deer and antelope.

I never paid much attention to this "they aren't needed " business. It never made much senses to seek out the lowest common denominator in hunting gear simply because I didn't "need" anything better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, after several loads with powder charge, length changes. I have a load that has done what I expected the gun & bullet to do. Three different targets with .6 to .75 groups not counting the flyer I always have with my groups. Maybe just the 70+ year old eyes & trigger control.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No question the partition has stood the test of time better than most and longer than just about anything going...I personally have been using them in 7 mm 140 grain for whitetails/black bear and have never had one fail in hunting mood, great bullet.. I load them for a ton of guys in just about ever cartridge you can imagine and have never had a single complaint back since the early 70's..hey they may not be shooting quarter inch groups but more than good enough for any big game hunting.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I have used Nosler Partitions for close to four decades, and tried them in many different calibers and cartridges. As with most bullets they work better in some rifles than others.

I would be completely happy with a big game load that shot .75" with any bullet consistently. That is the case with a .300 H&H I bought recently, it keeps three 180 grain partitions inside 3/4 of an inch. Works for me.

I find it interesting that ever since the Internet arrived and some magazine writers began writing about rifles throwing one inch groups as being less than acceptable, everyone seems to be shooting tight groups. Not happy unless they are half an inch"........and yet when I do go to a public range, I have a hard time finding anyone shooting an inch.

I am positive there are people shooting the tight groups out of hunting rifles, but there seems to be a lot more on the net than at the range. Heck I bet I only get one or two clients each year that show that sort of promise when we check their rifles before the hunt.

The Internet is a magical place.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:

I find it interesting that ever since the Internet arrived and some magazine writers began writing about rifles throwing one inch groups as being less than acceptable, everyone seems to be shooting tight groups. Not happy unless they are half an inch"........and yet when I do go to a public range, I have a hard time finding anyone shooting an inch.

The Internet is a magical place.

yup!

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whether I can shoot or not is rather moot. Whether I spend too much time on the keyboard is also moot. Neither point changes the validity of the statement that you attacked. I won’t say that all people in AR lie exactly but many of them can certainly restructure reality to suit their needs. After a while, it gets kinda tedious reading a post about a fellow buying a Chinese SK-47, wiping a little grease from it, and shooting sub moa groups, from the hip. And too, the good old boy, pulling old “blood and thunder” out of the back of the closet, finding that partial box of left over, store-bought ammo, and immediately shooting sub moa groups off of the hood of his truck. Anyone that actually shoots realizes that just ain’t gonna happen. That you take exception to the post or have a practice regimen that does enable you to shoot small groups still doesn’t change the basic validity of the post. I have seen it too many times in cyberspace and in actual experiences. Too many good old boy bragging about their rifle that will shoot one holers “all say long”, that when they go to a match and find out that the groups are actually measured and such, go home and don’t come back.
If you had followed my posts over the years, you would know that I am a strong advocate of “practice, practice, practice”, including dry firing. And, when I’m not sitting on my keyboard, I like to tinker with rifles. I guess you missed the posts where I suggested that 500 passes with a JB saturated patch will help with accuracy and cleaning. However, all of that is trivial in the face of your excellence and dedication.
BTW, I’m not one to pound my own chest, but I did take enough time out from cyberspace to win a couple of state championships with factory rifles. But I'm sure you can best that.

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted Thorn, I don't know when it became my responsibility to impress you with anything I do. Before I'd be interested in impressing someone, I'd have to be impressed with them. You don't make the cut.
I've never said anything about Snellstrom's shooting ability nor his dedication. Skyline made a post about many of the people that claim to shoot small groups probably don't. And I agreed. and here comes Snellstrom, pounding his chest and bragging about his shooting regimen. As if he's the only one that does that. Anyone that puts in enough time and effort should become pretty good. But few people are willing to put in that time and effort. I think that was the intent of Skyline's post. And I still agree.

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
You know Ted I was speaking in generalities when I posted and........ it was the first post I made on this thread and did not point at anyone in particular. I was referring to what you read on the internet in its entirety when it comes to shooting.

I don't know why so many on this forum feel the need to act like assholes all the time. You don't know squat about me and neither does Snellstrom. I shouldn't even bother addressing it as the same brush will be washed across me as being able to say what I want on the internet and there is no proof. Just an internet "cyberspace windbag", but posting a picture does not prove shit either. Hell I can take a picture of anything and say it is whatever I want..... no proof it is what I say it is...... see what I mean?

Honestly some of you guys act like you have way too much estrogen flowing through the system.

But just so you two know, I have been reloading for about 45 years and I have shot competitively with rifle and handgun. I value the tack drivers as much as anyone and even actually have a few hunting rifles that routinely turn in groups under half an inch. But in the big picture with hunters and their rifles.......... that ain't the norm.

I have been a big game guide since 1976 and I have been an outfitter now since 1989. After all those clients coming and going and checking zero......... only a handful in all those years shot tight little groups.

If you two bastions of accuracy felt slighted by my comments, well I am very sorry. Regardless it will still not change the fact that there are not very many out there who reload ammunition and shoot to the level of accuracy that the discussion is about.

Ted, old buddy old pal, I live on a ranch and I have a shooting bench just off my patio and can and do shoot out to 1000 yards in our pastures. We live in an area where my wife and I shot our last two moose within 300 yards of our house. I have killed 5 huge black bears on our ranch that make the awards and all time books for B&C.

SO WHAT? Big F'ing deal. Does that give me more credibility on here. Probably not........ not verified and I could be lying. Well at least it ain't too hard to verify the outfitting if one wanted to bother with that. But as we all know that gives one little credibility on here.

Just for a change it would be nice to see people on here act like they would face to face........ cause I can assure you that many would get their lights punched out in the local farm town if the acted like this in person. Yes, horrible to say and very Neaderthal like, but just the way it is in rural areas where people still expect others to be CIVIL.

Snellstrom, I apologize for calling you a dick, I should have said you are "acting like a dick". Perhaps you are not in real life, but I doubt it.

I will not post on this again. Shit I have better things to do and am actually mad at myself for even bothering to reply to this. Any further denigrations will not be responded to.

To bad everyone on here can't just be civil.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:

Civility is a wonderful asset!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
quote:

Civility is a wonderful asset!

Indeed, and I broke my rule on a previous post. I was ticked and I should not have posted that. I will remove it.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
After PM'ing Skyline I went back and deleted 2 posts where I slammed him.
My real outrage should have only been directed at Wasbeemen and after thinking about that I should not have been outraged at all as he is only a troll and can't help himself.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"troll" where did you come up with that? I guess your and your little buddy, Ted, just like to call names.

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
"troll" where did you come up with that? I guess your and your little buddy, Ted, just like to call names.

Heck.....I thought Snellstrom was being nice to you

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back on topic! I have found Partitions generally to be plenty accurate in my 7MM's and 30's. In the 7MM's I have yet to find one that won't shoot the 140 or 160 grain Partitions well, My 280AI is especially fond of the 160. The 30's from the little 308 to the reasonably big 300 Win Mag seem to be good shooters with Partitions but pickier about bullet weight. Meaning my 308 is a tackdriver with 150 gr. Partitions but so so with 180's, very good with the 200 gr. bullets. My current 300 Win Mag is a real tackdriver with the 200 gr. Partition but lousy with the 150 grainer. I have three 30-06's and to a rifle they prefer the 180 gr. Partition. To me so so is shooting 2 inch groups, just fine is 1 1/2 inch groups and tackdriver is 3 shots touching at 100 yards. I have found that getting really tight groups is easier with Sierra and Hornady bullets and that with them you don't have to look as hard for just the right powder charge or seating depth. That said when I use Partitions the target animals are usually much larger than sparrows and penetration is usually a quality I'm looking for. I don't use Partitions for everything but I have had great success with them.

Posts: 932 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote