New
Find
Notify
Tools

Max COL 204 Ruger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I read it one of the post a few months back where someone made a COL guage by sizeing a case and then cutting a split in the case neck so the bullet would be forced back as put in the chamber. I tried this yesterday. My reloading books ues 2.26 as Max COL, but when I used the homeade guage I get 2.40 with the bullet contacting the lands to force it back. This seems like alot of difference. Has anyone had any experience with this type homemade guage. Has anyone got max COL's using a factory guage in a Remington 700?

Thanks for the input

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a oal length gauge but I have measured chamber length in a similar manner to what you describe and nothing surprises me any more. I have seen chambers of over-the-counter rifles that had so much leade that the bullet wouldn't even contact the rifling in one particular rifle. Thank goodness it wasn't my gun. I have seen the chambers so long in box magazine rifles that there was no way to seat the bullets anywhere near the lands because of length limitations of the magazine. IMO, you just work with what you have when it comes to seating depth unless you have all your rifles wearing custom barrels/chambers.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote