New
Find
Notify
Tools

powder dispenser - electronic scale
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a RCBS dispenser digital scale and find it throws stick powder usually .1-.2 tenths over the value I input. I'm creating hunting loads but try to achieve accuracy too. I dispense then take the charge and dump in onto another scientific scale that measures to the hundredth of a grain. Typically one individual grain of stick powder weights .04 grains. I have been obsessing over absolute perfect charge weights. Does a .1 of a grain have any real impact. Obviously, the consistency of a powder charge impacts velocity a little ...which in my feeble mind would have to impact point of impact...but how much does a .1 make? Again this isn't competition, but i do like and try to acheive very small groups. I am trying to change the way I think. I historically have been disappointed when a group is 1" as I want smaller. But if a .1 of a grain isn't going to matter, it sure would cut down my reloading time. Thoughts?

Posts: 154 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 24 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out of a 50 gr charge 0.1grs is only 0.2%. If each kernel weighs 0.04grs then it is less than 3 kernels of powder. Neither you nor your rifle will notice.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
You may be a little obsessive, we all are here. You are thinking right but maybe a little over thinking it. As a Service Rifle competitior I can say that .1 grain doesn't make much difference in shorter ranges, say under 300 yards. At 600 it makes a small difference in vertical disperson. At 1000 it shows more.

Load up a small batch of your load and slow fire them (1 round a minute) at 100 yards into a group. I you can plot each shot as you go you'll get a good idea of your group. If you record each charge you can see how your charge weight changes your POI. If your load is in the middle of the node for your barrel .1 grain (+ or - .05) is not a big deal.

I have a PACT set up, the same one they used to make for RCBS before the Chargemaster they seel now. If I get a day that it keeps throwing .1 over I'll reset my dispenser to throw .1 under and look at the scale before I pour the charge.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Have not had that problem with my Chargemaster. As to problems with .1 grain of powder, have not had an accuracy problem there either. Most benchrest shooters load by volume rather than weight. That seems to be a bigger problem than weight to them.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The easiest way to fix your problem is to set your despenser to 49.9 if it dosen't make 50 just bump it to bring it up to 50.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,
You are all assuming the scale is accurate to that level.
Have you checked the thrown charge on a really accurate scale like a GemPro or a tuned 10-10?
You may be surprised at how far(or not) it is off and more importantly repeatable.

Gary

one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to calibrate the scale, I have two set ups and I started noticing one was dropping a grain or to more than the other even tho they where programed to throw the same. I called RCBS and they asked did you calibrate. When I attempted to calibrate I notice I started getting ERROR1.
Called RCBS and he advised how to reprogram the scale, which I did and bingo both are working perfectly

to reprogram the scale I was told to turn off the scale, then turn on the immediately press the following 3 buttons at the same time (gms/grains, Zero and on/off) your led will read --0-, then you must go through the calibrate procedure twice, then turn off and your good to go

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Cooley:
The easiest way to fix your problem is to set your despenser to 49.9 if it dosen't make 50 just bump it to bring it up to 50.
Bill

That's what I do with my 1200. Some powders at certain weights just don't do. So I set the machine to dump just shy of what I want and if it comes to that figure I just tap the powder snout with a wooden pencil and a couple more grains fall out for the weight I want.

FWIW, I've proofed my 1200 against my 10/10 numerous times and it's been spot on.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Liles:
Out of a 50 gr charge 0.1grs is only 0.2%. If each kernel weighs 0.04grs then it is less than 3 kernels of powder. Neither you nor your rifle will notice.

Jerry Liles

I have the RCBS Combo.

I is almost never off by .2g but when it is .1 off (sometimes) I get 2 sticks of powder and it is correct.

2 sticks of IMR 4350 is not a lot

Snake

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been obsessing over absolute perfect charge weights.

Well, that may be interesting to obsess with but you should understand that so far as velocity or accuracy you're just fanning the wind with that. A properly developed load is much more tolerant of small powder variations than many people can comprehend.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote