New
Find
Notify
Tools

scarcity of 308 Remington brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Smiler I was at my local gun shop yesterday and tried to buy some 308 Win brass in Remington-I find it to be the best brass on the market.

My supplier said that due to extreme demands from our military (ie all the allied forces) with the wars in Afganistan, Iraq etc there is a shortage of 308 Win brass given it is a common standard round used by our forces.

Have you guys in the US experienced the same problem?

Posts: 72 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 23 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Military demands were a good reason a few years ago but with only Afghan war still really going, no way are they using as many rounds as the Iraq troops did so I don't buy that as a valid reason.

Restocking the supply depots, maybe (I gather they were nearly empty at one stage).

Probably just the cycle of what is run and when.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That hasn't been the case here in the states for probably 3 years now. You'll see the usual outages of one manufacturer's product for a time due to production runs but that's it.

Have you tried www.intlmidway.com ?

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just checked on Midway International and Midway USA and all say "Out of Stock, No Backorder" although Midway USA does indicate "Date expected in stock: 10/31/2011"

`

A wise man’s heart directs him toward the right, but the foolish man’s heart directs him toward the left.
(Ecclesiastes 10:2 New American Standard Bible)

Posts: 1400 | Location: Southeast San Antonio, TX | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No shortage stateside...

I can order 500 case of police range stuff for $70.00...

sadly I don't think they will allow that stuff to be shipped to OZ... courtesy of Terrorists and all this Homeland Security Malarky...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seafire/B17G wrote:
quote:
I can order 500 case of police range stuff for $70.00

That sounds like a GREAT price. Would you share the URL with us?

`

A wise man’s heart directs him toward the right, but the foolish man’s heart directs him toward the left.

Posts: 1400 | Location: Southeast San Antonio, TX | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Nosler brass in my .308 and had no trouble finding it.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys - yeah midway was the supplier of my local gunsmith. probably just a production run out.

Seafire I must say I'd love to get a hold of that police brass for $70 for 500 cases. With our dollar about equal to the USD, that would bloody great value.....

Posts: 72 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 23 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sevenmil, seafire/B17G sent me the URL.

Look at Southern Belle Brass
www.southernbellebrass.com

`

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look at Southern Belle Brass
www.southernbellebrass.com

That looks like fired range brass. Not the Remington brass he was asking about.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
When Hornady started selling brass I bought a box of .308 and never looked back.

Best of luck finding the Remington, I won't be putting any strain on the supply Big Grin

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ramrod340 wrote:
quote:
That looks like fired range brass. Not the Remington brass he was asking about.

Which is what he was asking about earlier - i.e. here:
quote:
Seafire I must say I'd love to get a hold of that police brass for $70 for 500 cases. With our dollar about equal to the USD, that would bloody great value.....

Thus I quoted him the URL to Southern Belle Brass.

`

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
You'r right I missed it. Frowner

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sevenmil:
Smiler I was at my local gun shop yesterday and tried to buy some 308 Win brass in Remington-I find it to be the best brass on the market.

My supplier said that due to extreme demands from our military (ie all the allied forces) with the wars in Afganistan, Iraq etc there is a shortage of 308 Win brass given it is a common standard round used by our forces.

Have you guys in the US experienced the same problem?

Solution ='s LAPUA! Hands down better brass than Remington and Winchester.