THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Once fired brass sticking (that was fired from same rifle)?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Once fired brass sticking (that was fired from same rifle)?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wookie316
posted
Well, I am not sure what to do next? I'll start off with all the details of the load & rifle.

24 1/2" (cut down from 26" originally) #2 contour Ted Gaillard barrel chambered in 264 Win Mag. Chamber is throated long for a COL of 3.495 with a 140gr Accubond. I seat the bullet so my COL is 3.480.

http://www.shootingpaul.netfirms.com/GAILLARD.html

Barrel is fitted to a Sako AV action that has been trued & trigger set to 2 1/2 lbs. Barreled action is bedded to a Brown Precision stock. A 4.5x14x40mm LR Leupold B&C reticule. Scope is mounted with Talley high rings & mounts (high mounts fit me much better than low mounts).

The load is as follows.
Win brass
215F match primer
140gr Nosler Accubond
72gr H870 (down from 74gr as I was getting pressure signs & extraction issues with new brass)

Now I was having problems at 74gr as described above, so I dropped down to 72gr. Now new brass seems to work fine at 72gr, no extraction issues, also the fired new case will go back into the chamber no problem.

My once fired brass (out of this rifle) is a different story. I first thought it was a trim issue because my first 20 rounds I didn't trim & was over the 2.500. It was not by much though, 2.509.

The next 20 once fired rounds were trimmed back to 2.486. Today's field test came up with the same thing, a little tug after the bolt is lifted to extract the shell. I am getting light scratching above the belt on the once fired rounds?

Funny thing is the measurements on the new brass & once fired seem to be the same above the belt. .513 above belt & .493 at the shoulder.

Normally I neck size cases, but I decided to F/L size these. Reason being when I was working up a load for the rifle, I wasn't as good at keeping brass separate as I should have been. I knew some of the loads were a bit warm. Now most of the warm loads brass was pitched, but rather than pitch the rest I figured a F/L sizing would get me back in check for the most part.

Now if it was the odd once fired round that was sticking, I'd write that off to a hot load case that got mixed in the batch of brass, but it seems I am getting sticky extraction each load with the once fired brass.

Would my load still be too hot? I am 2gr less than max in the Nosler manual, 6.3gr from max in the old Hornady manual, 4gr from max in the old Speer manual & 1gr from max in the Hodgdon manual.

With my load I am right around the 3100 FPS range according to my chrony. I checked my balance beam scale to verify it was correct with another one I have & found it to be good.

I am hoping I have over looked something & don't have to drop my charge anymore. Does anyone have an idea out there?

Thanks

Posts: 138 | Location: Border City (On the poor side)}:-( | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try cleaning your chamber. Maybe even chuck a section of cleaning rod in a drill motor and put a shotgun brush in the end and brush the chamber out well and then follow up with patches and oil and then brake cleaner. Wouldn't hurt to tease a little #0000 steel wool into the shotgun brush with some Kroil to really shine the chamber. Don't get too carried away tho.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They did not use your rifle for their load development.

Load up & Shoot a couple @ 2 grains less powder & see if they stick??? dancingthumb

Have a good one!!

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your problem is an indication of excessive pressure, but there is normally more than on sign. Are there marks on the brass or fine shavings in the bolt? If so, it could be pressure issues.

One of Us
Picture of Wookie316
posted Hide Post
Barrel was shortened from muzzle end. I use Redding dies with the comp shell holders. The shell holders go from +.002 to +.010. I am using the +.002 right now.

New loaded shells (my loads) go in & out of the gun no problem, as well as the once fired brass that has been sized. It is after the once fired brass is fired that I require a tug to get it out.

Last night I neck sized a once fired round with the 72gr H870 load. I trimmed brass to 2.486, cleaned burrs off the neck & loaded again to 72gr H870. I also cleaned the chamber in my rifle. It was dirty, but nothing out of the ordinary. After the neck sized round was fired, my case stretch was only .001 as I measured it at 2.487. It still needed a light tug to extract the fired shell.

On closer inspection it appears to be scratching ahead of the belt about a 1/8" wide mark on the case. I cycled the spent case back into the chamber about a 1/2 dozen times in the field & it appears there is about 1/2 dozen 1/8" marks ahead of the belt on the case now.

I am thinking that there is a rough spot where the belt ring was cut into the chamber now. What do you guys think?

Posts: 138 | Location: Border City (On the poor side)}:-( | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am thinking that there is a rough spot where the belt ring was cut into the chamber now. What do you guys think?

also check the feed ramp it may be rough. do you feel a slight resistance if you cycle the action slow just before you cam the bolt down?
there has to be a burr there somewhere.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i agree on the rough spot just above the belt, but also ck head expansion just above the belt,should not be more than .0005.full length sizing may not bring it back into spec.. you need to rework your load minus 10% and work up.hope this helps.tony

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester 70 264 WM that had the same problem. Like you I finally found scratches on the cases on the expansion ring. Turned out to be burrs on the front edge of the belt recess. Once they were cleaned up all was good.

Even hot loads extracted easily after the burrs were cleaned up.