THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best bullet combo for 270 Win and 338 WM?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'd like to settle on one bullet for each gun and would like your input/experience on what bullets to choose in order to get the maximum benefit out of this combo.

I'll be using the 270 primarily for deer(and anything smaller) and the 338 for elk (and anything bigger). In a pinch, I'd also be using each gun as a back up for the other and don't want to have to change bullets to do so. Thanks for your input.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
130 Gr. Nosler ballistic tip and 60 Grs. of H4831. Ain't nothing gonna live if is hit by it. Bob

Posts: 78 | Location: Harrison, Maine | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These are the two cartridges I have used most in the past 40 yrs., here in B.C. I think that they are the perfect pair for western Canada and anywhere else with similiar game and conditions.

I am a strong advocate of one cartridge with one bullet weight and I use 270-150 Nosler PT. or Gold PT (moly-free) and .228-250 Noslers as above. I have a lot of rifles chambered in a wide variety of cartridges, but, this combo is the most practical, IMHO.

I do use softer, cheaper bullets in the same weights in each rifle for practice. I have never lost an animal hit with either of these combos, even big bull Elk. Of course, I sometimes miss, but, that's not the rifle's fault....maybe it's sunspots......!

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are so many bullets for the .338 that it's hard to figure out which one is the best, but for the lower-48 where you don't have to worry too much about bears, try whichever of these shoots the best:

210-grain Nosler Partition
210-grain barnes XLC or "X"
225-grain Triple-Shock
225-grain Swift A-Frame (this is a great tough 225 grainer)
225-grain Trophy Bonded (not any better than the A-Frame, but more $)

For Alaska I would use from 225 grains to 300:

225-grain Barnes X
225-grain 3-Shock
225-grain A-Frame
230-grain FS
240-grain Northfork?
250-grain Partition
250-grain A-Frame (a tough bullet for bears)
275-grain A-Frame (for bigger bears)
300 Woodleigh (big bears)

There are a few I didn't mention, such as the ones made by Kodiak, Norma, and others.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Nebraska,

My wife shoots a Model 700 270 win. I have loaded a couple of diff loads that really shoot in that rifle:

#1-150 grain Hdy SPIL over H4831 accuracy mostly around .5" at 100 yards.

#2-140 grain Nosler Balistic Tip over H4831 accuracy about .6-.7" range at 100 yards.

The 130s dont shoot as good for me but, the two mentioned above have been great. If you plan on maybe using it as a back-up for elk, I would go the 150 grn route.

I Don't load 338.

Hope this was helpful.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
NE:

Do you want to use bullets of similar SD and BC at similar velocities for nearly identical trajectories? If so you can't beat a good 150 in the 270 and a 225 in the 338. To simplify further, H4350 would work well in each. I believe the above would meet your criteria well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The 130s dont shoot as good for me ... If you plan on maybe using it as a back-up for elk, I would go the 150 grn route.

I've had the same results in my rifle (Remington 700 Mountain Rifle) -- 150 grain bullets give better accuracy than lighter ones. My most recent experiments have been with RL-22 powder. It does better both in terms of accuracy and velocity than any of the 4831s or 4350s -- Hodgdon or IMR -- in this caliber and bullet weight in my rifle.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Load them both up with interbonds and never look back!

Im just bummed that there isnt a .25 cal. interbond yet.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Brad on this one, for me it would make sense to go with a couple of Nozler Partiitons.

150 @ 2900 out of the 270

210 @2900 out of the 338

Just my way of looking at things

Have a great week!

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Yea, it would be nice if they had a .257 interbond in about 115 or 117 weight class. Push it about 3100 and it would probably be a stellar deer load.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

NE:

Do you want to use bullets of similar SD and BC at similar velocities for nearly identical trajectories? If so you can't beat a good 150 in the 270 and a 225 in the 338. To simplify further, H4350 would work well in each. I believe the above would meet your criteria well.

That's precisely what I was looking to do.... If those are the best match, I'll start my search there. I was originally thinking along the lines of a accubond/triple-shockish type bullet but the tried and true partition just got a heckuva recommendation...

Any field experiences with these would be much appreciated!

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader: I agree with you on this one! I'd LOVE to see a heavy 257 Interbond bullet!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Stay away from the 130NBT if you are after elk. I would go 150grNP/.270 & 210gr or 225grNP/.338. I am shooting the 225grNAB in my .338 & really like it. Haven't taken game w/ it yet, but it looks good in test medium.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use Nosler Accubonds in both (140 & 225). They are as accurate as ballistic tips and hit like partitions........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AAdams
posted Hide Post
That is two of my favorite calibers. I shoot the 130 grain Nosler Bullistic tip, using IMR 4350 at a charge of 53 grains, at less than a half inch group at 100 yards. It's not senitive to hot or cold weather, in a Savage 116. I also shoot the Savage Weather Warrior in 338 Win. Mag. shooting 200grain Nosler Bullistic tips. It will shoot bullet holes at a 100 yards if I do my part. Using IMR 4350 a charge of 70 grain, it is not weather senitive either. It has been good on Deers and Hogs. Hope this might help you some. AAdams

Posts: 117 | Location: Rock Hill, S.C. | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
My Rem 700 .270 shot best with IMR 4350 and 140 gr Ballistic Tips. I think this is the optimal weight bullet for this caliber, and also devastating on deer size game. In my .338 Win Mag A-Bolt, 210 Nosler Partitions over some IMR 4350 gives me sub.75 MOA groups. I'm getting 3050 fps from my 26" barrel. This load REALLY thumps a big elk !!!

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My pick for the 270 hands down would be the 160 grain Nosler Semi Pointed Partition.

The 338 you can't go wrong with any 225 grain bullet, either partition or regular like a Hornady Spire Point or 250 grain Round Nose or Spire Point from Hornady.

In my 338/06 I use the 250 grain Round Nose the most.

I love partitions but the 338 bore is so efficient that I don't think a partition or similar is needed unless you are tackling an irritated Alaskan grizzly.

Cheers and Good shooting
Seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
The .270 Winchester was developed around the idea of launching a 130 gr. bullet at over 3100 fps., and it's still at its best for medium-size game with 130 gr. bullets. I load 130 gr. Nosler Partitions to right at 3150 fps. in my .270, have used that load for over twenty-five years, and I've yet to see an advantage in going with heavier projectiles for anything I'd hunt with this cartridge.

Likewise, the .338 Win. Mag. was developed around the concept of pushing a 250 gr. bullet out at 2700 fps., and that weight gets everything out of this cartridge that it has to offer, for everything from mule deer to elk to grizzlies of any size, plus all African plainsgame, cats, etc. Look at 250 gr. bullets out of the .338 Win. Mag. in the same light as 180s out of a .30-06 and you'll have it about right.

You can certainly load lighter bullets, such as the excellent 210 gr. Nosler Partition, and I've done it and I've used 'em, but their only real advantage is in slightly less recoil - not practical trajectory. For example, if you load 210 Noslers at 2900 fps. and 250 Noslers at 2700 fps. and zero both for 200yds., you'll see that the 210 load offers only about a 1" flatter trajectory at 300 yds. -- not enought to matter. But those 250 gr. bullets with their much greater sectional density offer a distinct advantage in terms of punch and penetration over all the lighter bullets.

These days , I stick with Nosler Partitions for all my hunting with the .270 Win., .300 Win. Mag., and .338 Win. Mag........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

You can certainly load lighter bullets, such as the excellent 210 gr. Nosler Partition, and I've done it and I've used 'em, but their only real advantage is in slightly less recoil - not practical trajectory

The same could be said about using 130's in the 270.

I would go with 150's in the 270, and 225's in the 338.

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I don't agree. The .270 Win. was built around the concept of SPEED, and since the 130 gr. .277 spitzer bullet has a sectional density about like a .308 spitzer bullet weighing 165 grs., it's plenty of bullet for deer-size stuff, especially if you own something bigger (in this case, .338 Win. Mag.) for elk, moose, etc.

Likewise, the .338 Win. Mag. was developed as a heavy-bullet cartridge, and I can't think of a single advantage that 225 gr. (or lighter) bullets offer, other than slightly less recoil.

There's no reason to come up with loads that will in any way overlap if you own rifles in each chambering.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
A good 140gr and 225gr Bullet

<JOHAN>
posted
Well
270 win, 140 o 130 grain bullet of good design such as nosler partition or accubond.

338 win I like the 225-250 grains. The 160-200 is best in a 7mm or 300. 250 grain partitions in 338 has worked fine on animals in all kinds on angles

Cheers
/JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Likewise, the .338 Win. Mag. was developed as a heavy-bullet cartridge, and I can't think of a single advantage that 225 gr. (or lighter) bullets offer, other than slightly less recoil

First, I'm not sure why it matters IF it was developed as a "heavy-bullet cartridge." Second, I agree a 225 has no advantage over a 250, other than less recoil...but, that is exactly the reason I would choose it over the 250. I'm pretty sure a 250 won't kill an animal any deader than a 225. In my book, 225 is plenty big enough for anything that walks. After all, that is why Barnes X bullets are made, and other premiums such as the Bear Claw and A Frame. On the other hand, in the 270, the recoil even from a heavy 150 isn't going to bother too many shooters, so you may as well go with the bullet that has a very high sectional density and ballistic coefficient. It may drop 3 or 4 inches more than the 130 at 400 yards, but it will drift less in the wind.

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska:
Ahh! My 2 favorite chamberings. My opinion is that you can't go wrong with a .270 for sheep & caribou & the .338 is the ticket for the larger animals here in Ak.
My favorite bullet for years has been Nosler partitions
for both calibers. The 150 for the .270 & the 250 for the .338.
I've now gone to the 225 gr. Northfork for the .338 and have found it to be more accurate than the partition. It uses a bit less powder than the 225 gr. Horn. while maintaining the same velocity. Should I ever go for the larger bears, I'll likely go to the 240 gr. Northfork since I've been told that is what the bullet was designed for.
In my .270, I've always used 150 gr. partitions but since I've had such good luck with the Northforks, I'm planning on trying their 150 gr. .27 cal. bullet as well.
I'm fully aware that many people use the less expensive bullets on game every year but I for one, am a firm believer that a bullet is the cheapest part of the hunt and I have full confidence in my use of them. This is one case where cost does not enter into the equation & shouldn't in my opinion. I'd go with a 150 gr. Partition or Northfork in the .270 and a 210 Partition or Northfork in the .338.
My comments for whatever they're worth, good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
First, I think Brad said it first. Pick bullets and loads that have similar drop characteristics if you will be using them on the same hunt or to back up the primary rifle.

Next, I don't like the way a .270 works on Elk so I'd recommend a 150gr. bullet here. Shots will have to be with the intent to hit vitals first and drive into the off shoulder if possible to be the most effective. I know this isn't going to sit well with the .270 fans and those that worship O'Conner. I admire O'Conner and although he was a good hunter I believe he was an exceptional marksman.
That said for the smallbore I'd pick an x if it will shoot. Others have also given very good choices.

For Elk it would be hard to pick a bad bullet in the .338WM. I've used the 200gr. X, 210gr. Nosler, 250 gr. Sierra.

Keeping them on the same plane will make you a better shot when swithing back and forth.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote