Find
Notify
Tools

Help with reloading die brands
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys

I have decided about three weeks ago that I am finally going to rechamber my Hornet to K Hornet . Well it was'nt as easy as I thought .

After many phone calls I got someone that has a K Hornet reamer. Now I dont want to rechamber before I have the die set in my hands, that has also proved to be a mission impossible 10 in this country. I have to now go the way of shipping. Please suggest the best Manufacturer in your view , & also from which dealer I should buy from.

Guys the help would be much appreciated!!!!
Regards
Rudie Potgieter

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
If you are fussy, then a set of Redding dies will gladden your heart. If practical, then RCBS or C-H.

C-H is perhaps the most thrifty, and I know one can order directly from them, probably with a credit card. Try this e-mail address:
dave@ch4d.com

C-H also has a lot of dies in obscure calibers, but at affordable prices. Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redding makes quality stuff and will also sell direct. www.redding-reloading.com

------------------
there's a fine line between hobby and mental illnes

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
I would say either Redding or Forster, with the nod going to Forster. All their seater dies are in-line, and you will reap the rewards of such should you decide to use them.

I'm not sure about buying direct, though. Most manufacturers' list prices are a good deal higher then what they can be gotten for from someplace like Graf & Sons, Midway, etc.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<MAKATAK>
posted
Midsouth has an RCBS full length K-hornet set for $46.95 and a Redding set for $36.95, and the individual sizer, seater if you want.

I like Forster Ultra seater because they work and are a lot cheaper the the other two brands competition seaters. You can order a standard Hornet seater and send the seating sleeve to your 'smith and have him cut the sleeve chamber with the reamer, then you only have to buy the sizer die from one of the other companies. It's no different than cutting the chamber.

I've done this for two wildcats and 4 other standard calibers so it's not hard to do. My only problem is Forster doesn't have an Ultra seater for 17 Rem and I need one bad. Guess I'll have to go the the standard Forster seater and be happy.

Midsouth and Natchez both have the brands but I'm not sure about shipping out of the country or to which countries they can ship to. Go to their websites and find out.

Good luck, you picked a popular wildcat about 30 years too late. It's an oldie but a goodie but I would be nicer to myself and go with something a little more modern like a 221, 222 or 223 and just down load it a bit. You must be a lot younger than I because I bruise too easy to go dealing with the K-Hornet now, although I did get the sweats over the "Kay" back in my misspent youth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My money goes to Redding from now on! they are also cheaper than RCBS at Midway...MIDWAY

Mike

------------------
Victory Through Superior Firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys

All your input helped, I have settled on a set of Redding dies & think I should be happy as I am used to RCBS & LEE dies, It sounds like i'll be getting better quality for a better price. Unfortunately I cant order on the web from Midway as they do not take orders from non US residents over the Web. If you have any other ideas please send them. I am currently going with LOCK STOCK & BARREL. Has any got any experience with them ?

Regards
Rudie Potgieter

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rudie:
I am currently going with LOCK STOCK & BARREL. Has any got any experience with them ?

Yes, yes. Always had the best of service from these guys!
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Lock,stock has allways been good to me too

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like RCBS dies, I do have a set of CH 4 dies and there pretty good. I also own a set of Lee .44 mag dies but they do not feel as good as quality as my RCBS or ch 4 dies.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good grief! Is CH back in the reloading business? They used to make a lot of junk years ago and went out of business once. I've seen so much of their shoddy work that I wouldn't touch a set of CH dies with rubber gloves on. [Confused]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rudie, Cabela�s, Brownells and Sinclair DO send abroad. I even don�t look at Midways homepage anymore, as they won�t sell to me ...

Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
imo Redding makes the best rifle dies

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys

Thanx for the advice , on Saturday I found a set of brand new Redding dies from one of the dealers around here . With my good luck he has had the set for the past year now , the customer never collected and I got it for the old price of R 275 I think it is round $ 25.00 US . Now I'm waiting for the rifle to come back from the smith....... how long those 7 days feel [Smile]

Regards
Rudie