Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

357/38
 Login/Join

posted
I have never reloaded pistol ammo until now. I was asked to reload some 357 Magnum and 38 Special. I understand that you have to crimp handgun bullets, a third process. I was using a RCBS size #1 38 SP crimper. I tried some 357 Magnums and they would not crimp. OK I said, it is for 38 SP so I tried them. Still no luck, I can still turn the bullet around in the case. I tried different depths and still no luck. Help, what is this fool doing wrong?

Posts: 2 | Location: San Antonio, south TX | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
First of all, the sizing die does not crimp.

Crimping is done with the seating/crimping die. The instructions that came with the die set give complete instructions.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pistol is
1-F/L size and deprime (die #1)
2-Flare the case mouth (die #2)
3-Prime
4-Powder
5-Seat (die #3) (and roll crimp for revolver loads)
6-taper crimp** (die #4) **semi auto pistol loads. You don't have this one.

"I can still turn the bullet around in the case"
This sounds like your over flairing with die #2. You want just enough flare to start the bullet into the case. What I do is (no tools other than the allen wrench required, all adjustments are made with your fingers), with the shell in the full up position, is to turn the flare adjuster stem down until it stops on the case mouth, than another 1/2 turn will be real close to perfect.
To set die #3, raise the die body so that the crimp shoulder won't make contact with the case mouth. Than adjust the seating stem down until you get the desired OAL. Now raise the seating stem, and bring the die body down, a little at a time, until you get the amount of crimp you desire and lock the die body. With this first loaded /crimped round back in the die, lower the seating stem into (firm finger) contact with the bullet, and lock the stem screw down. Your now good to go, and will be seating and crimping with one stroke.
When changing from 38spl to 357mag the only thing you need to do is raise die #2 & 3 up .100", with a washer or by adjusting the body nut. You only need to readjust the seating stem if you change the bullet style.
It took me longer to type this than it does to set up a 3 (or 4) die pistol set.

[ 03-25-2003, 02:17: Message edited by: Tailgunner ]

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THE EASIST MOST FOOL PROOF DIES I EVER USED FOR .357 /.38 SPL IS A LEE SPEED DIE SET. LIKE THE MAN SAID READ THE DIRECTIONS AND YOU CANNOT GO WRONG WITH A SPEED DIE SET THEY ARE WORTH THE INVESTMENT.

GOOD LUCK J.B.