THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Barnes X versus Triple Shock for deer.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Not if the X already shoots well. I have always been pleased with TSX shot at over 3300fps.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
Several folks seem less than pleased with Barnes X bullets at higher velocity. But in a 6.5 Swede loaded to around 2600fps, to be used one whitetail deer, is there any real advantage to going to a Triple Shock with a couple hundred of the X bullets already on hand?

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the Barnes Xs tend to blow the petals off at high velociy and sometimes the base will bend...this displeases some folks...I have noticed this in hi vel rounds but they always are near picture perfect mushrooms in the big bores when taken from Cape Buffalo, those rounds are usually about 2400 FPS and the Barnes X seem to maintain their integrity exceptionally well at that speed.........

The TSX is supposed not blow off the front in hi vel rounds..Its a little early in the TSX career to make a final judgement on them IMO...I will be testing them in the future on game I suspect...

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post

My first impression when I saw the topic was: "Unless you're expecting to connect at over 3000fps you're spending too much money."

Those fancy premiums exist so that we can stick a 150gr bullet into a 30-378 case. That's the extreme of course, but the Swede has lived a long happy life with the most basic cup&core bullets at medium speeds. Just stick a 140gr soft point in there and off you go. Save your money to feed any big magnums you might also own.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote