Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tweeking handloads for accuracy
 Login/Join

posted
What is the most efficient way to tweek handloads for accuracy?
Here are the basics:
1. Once fired LC brass .223, trimmed to 1.75, flash hole uniformed, primer pocket uniformed, cleaned.
2. CCI 450 primers.
3. 24.1 gr of RL-15
4. SMK 77gr fmjbt
5. velocity at 10 feet is 2600+/-
I'm barely getting sub-moa at 100 and 200 yards (if I do my part, that is.) I'm hoping to improve that. Any help?

Evil prevails when good people don't step up. God grant me strength and courage.

Posts: 11 | Location: The free state of Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
what you shootin?
do you have a decent scope?
shootin off bags or bipod?
good trigger?
lets see some pictures of those sub moa groups.
may be able too tell more/

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting the following:
AR15 Bushmaster upper and lower
Free floated Kreiger 20" 1:7.75
RRA national match trigger.

I'll e-mail pics of targets if I can

Evil prevails when good people don't step up. God grant me strength and courage.

Posts: 11 | Location: The free state of Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Need more information about what you've previously tried. My first inclination would be to try different powders. If RL15 has given the best results of several, then I'd try a different bullet. I found the Nosler most accurate in my fast twist .223. Then I'd move to adjusting the overall length.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am using Varget with the 77's but have found with my Ar that a few tenths can make a significant difference in group size. Also, if you can, start shooting at 250-300y as this will amplify the differences.
Good luck.
C.G.B.

posted Hide Post
From what I've read RL-15 is slighty faster than Varget. I'm loading 24.1 grs of RL-15 behind the 77's. How much Varget are you using? Also, what is the AR barrel twist?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are so many ways to do what you ask that it would be better to recommend a few accuracy books like those written by Glenn Newick, Tony Boyer, and etc..etc..etc...

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
CGB, unfortunately I can only get out to 200 yards. But I will focus on shooting more 200 targets than 100. Thanks for the info.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Brass prep, sort by weight. Load using Redding Typse-S FL sizing Bushing dies

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am using a Noveske upper with 1:7 twist. I don't have my load data here but will try to remember to look it up tonight.
C.G.B.