New
Find
Notify
Tools

Difficulty sizing .375H&H?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am having a lot of trouble getting once fired cases to pass through my dies.

I have tried using dry lube and RCBS lube, though the cases are very hard to rm up and to extract from the die.

At first I tried neck sizing only, and some cases were buckling a tiny bit under the strain.

In the past I have not had any of these problems with the cases nor the die.

I tried cleaning it too...

The rifle is a Sako 75, is it possibile that the chamber is considerably larger and I'm getting cases that are expanding more than usual?

I'll try measuring them, although by looking it seems they are a little bigger.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's certainly possible that the chamber of your rifle is max size or even oversize, but even if that is so, you still shouldn't have difficulty full-length sizing the resulting cases.

If you are lubing the cases sufficiently, including the inside of the necks, my guess is that there's something wrong with your sizing die. Is it sufficiently polished inside, or is there a burr somewhere that is grabbing your cases? Is it perhaps undersize somehow -- especially the neck? Is there some problem that makes it too short, so that you can ram a case into it farther than it should go?

I'd suggest that you try another sizing die, and maybe another shell holder, and see whether that solves your problem. If it does, then my hunch is right. If it doesn't, then there's some other problem.

[ 10-20-2003, 20:59: Message edited by: LE270 ]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Loyd, I didn't consider it at the time but the shell holder is not "his"

I couldn't find the right one and just used the first one that fit. It came out of the .454Casull die box...

I'll try again with the right shell holder tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Gee, I have three 15" tires, and I put a 14" tire on my vehicle and now it doesn't run right...

RCBS shell holder for the 375 H&H is #4.
RECB shell holder for the .454 Casull is #20.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put the right shellholder in and double checked, polished and cleaned everything.

Light coating of WD40 then wipe off. Lubed the case and tried again.

The cases aren't travelling too far into the die, it doesn't even look as if the case walls are being sized.

There are no marks on the lower part of the case.
The resistance begins as soon as the case neck contacts the die.
Even sizing 2mm of the neck was hard.

This is getting wierd, now I have a stuck case...

Why is this happening all of a sudden?

one of us
posted Hide Post
WD-40 is not a case lube, and you NEVER want it inside your cases, as it will contaminate the powder and primer.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put the WD40 through the die, not the case. I also wiped it out of the die, so as not to leave any grat amounts of it in there to gum up.

I use RCBS case lube.