Find
Notify
Tools

450\400 3" loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted
Anyone have some good 450\400 3" loads using Hornady's 400 gr DGX bullets and RL15\17\19 powder?

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
For my vintage 450/400 3 inch I use 62 Grns. of RL-15, a foam plug or Dacron filler and Federal 215 Magnum Match primer. This should get you between 1980-2000+ depending on your rifle.

The filler holds the RL-15 against the primer and this provides for extremely uniform velocities.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
When I started loading this cartridge for my Ruger No. 1, I had trouble finding load data as well.

I'm using 81 grains of IMR 4831 under the 400 grain DGX and DGS bullets. That data came from the A Square manual "Any Shot You Want" and works fine. I get between 2000 and 2100 fps with that load. I took a great bull with it last year.

I question why I load for it since Hornady is virtually the only manufacturer that sells components for it (or at least that I could find). I use Hornady cases and Hornady bullets. I suppose buying the Hornady loaded ammunition would be cheaper and not as much fun, but that's pretty much what I'm duplicating on my own bench. I have some Woodleighs but haven't tried them yet.

My Hornady manual does not have load data for the 450/400 3", but I believe a new manual was recently published (mine is the 7th Ed.). Hopefully they're publishing data for it since they are the only manufacturer that seems to be supporting the cartridge right now.

"Any Shot You Want" lists data for RL-22 but not for 15/17/19. They show a starting load of 83 grains, which they say gives 2,047 fps, up to 87 grains, at 2,172 fps.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the data guys. I may contact Hornady and see what loads they may give me. I'd like to use existing powders if I can - get more out of it if I can spread it across more than 1 gun\load. I'm hoping to reload basically the Hornady load as well. Think we can do better than the $80 to $95 per box of shells and maybe get a bit better on the accuracy.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
When I bought my Sabatti the original owner had corresponded with Hornady about loads. Their reply to him stated that their loads were using 80gr of H4831.

He was getting good results with 79 gr of H4831. I tried the same 79 gr load with H4831SC and my results were equal to the regulation target included with the rifle.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 70gr of RL15, 400gr Woodleigh's and Fed 215 primers in a Ruger #1 450/400 3". These loads may be too hot for a double rifle though.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
Woodrow - are you loading the Woodleigh softpoints or solids or both? My solids are .410 and all the Hornady bullets (both DGX and DGS) are .410. But my Woodleigh softs are .411.

Presumably the extra .001 on the Woodleigh softs would raise pressure, but not enough to be of any concern. It still bothers me.

I'm also shooting the Ruger No. 1.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote