Notify
Tools

Bonded vs All Copper vs Partition ?????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ryan
posted
Bonded vs All Copper vs Partition ?????

I am developing a load for my 300 Weatherby. I have two moose hunts in the next two years � shiras this year and Alaska/Yukon next. I also have an elk hunt next year, with potential shots out to 350 / 400 yards.

I�d like to develop a load that will perform well on the relatively short range shots expected for moose and also on the longer 400 yards shots on elk.

I am thinking a 200 grain something?

My question is which bullet would fit the bill, the higher BC bonded bullets like the accubond or the controlled weight retaining X bullet or the old stand by Nosler Partition?????

Any thoughts????

Posts: 81 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
One of my friends swears by the 200 gr. Nosler Partition in his .300 Weatherby for just about everything.

A few years ago, I used 180 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claws @3100 fps. MV in my .300 Winchester for moose in B.C. I had a 200 yd. shot at a bull on the other side of a clearing. I shot him on the point of his right shoulder, and he turned around, staggered, and started to wobble when I shot him again in the left shoulder, which dropped him hard. Both bullets went completely through and exited, and the inside of that moose was absolute mush. No, the second shot wasn't necessary, but I gave it to him anyway.

I think any good premium 180 or 200 gr. bullet out of your .300 WBY. ought to work very well for any sort of moose hunting, as it would for any sort of elk hunting. I'd go with whatever your rifle seems to shoot best, but I would certainly pick a truly good premium bullet.

If I went moose hunting again this very season, I'd take my .300 Winchester loaded with 180 gr. Nosler Partition Protected Points @ just under 3100 fps. That's the load I'm currently shooting out of my rifle, and I've been using that same load for the last four years. It's worked on everything from mule deer to moose-size eland, and I've even used it for Coues deer. It's been a super load, and I'm taking it again to African this season for a full gamut of critters, including moose-size stuff.

I might have strayed just a bit here, but it's for a reason. I think too big a production is often made out of bullets for elk, bullets for moose, bullets for black bear, etc. With a good heavy-for-caliber premium bullet out of a versatile, potent cartridge such as any of the .300s, you can stick with that one bullet, load it to maximum safe operating pressure, sight-in for about 250 yds., and then simply go hunting, no matter if you're hunting late-season whitetails, or fall moose. That one good, familiar, reliable load will work for all of it........

AD

posted Hide Post
I'm a real fan of nosler partitions. I've taken a couple of dozen elk with them in 300wby and 340wby. I've only had one bullet fail to exit and that was on a big bull at 443 yds shot quartering into the shoulder. 180 0r 200 grain partitions would make an awesome elk/moose load. For that matter, they would make a great all around load (excluding the big bears). I've gotten used to using one or 2 rifles for all my big game shooting using just 1 load. Presently it is a 340 factory loads with 210 partitions at 3250 and 300 wby with 180g partitions handloads at about the same speed. Recently I've been playing with barnes 168 tsx and 150g lazzerheads (a modified tsx). I would expect the either of these bullets to out penetrate 180 partitions because the front won't wipe off. Should be a great hunting bullet. If you want to try the barnes, I would stear clear of the X, XLC versions unless you are luckier than I am. I've never been able to get them to shoot well in a half dozen different guns. They seem to shoot patterns rather than groups. In contrast, the TSX will shoot 1moa regularly, and sometimes half that. I've played around with some hornady 165g interbonds. They've shot ok--not great--11/2"-2" groups. My next project will be to try the new accubonds--I don't know that they will do anthing the partitions won't already do, but it is an excuse to do some shooting. Good luck.

Posts: 24 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Considering that the game you mentioned has all been taken with a round lead ball...does it really matter which exotic bullet you use?

Place your shot well and forget about whether the bullet is bonded or not...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

the accubond or the old stand by Nosler Partition?????

Either!! 200 is right!

one of us
posted Hide Post
From the Hodgden web site under Imr Loading data for Weatherby loading data-300Wby-180gr Imr 7828 86grs max-3240fps. 52500 (cup). Or www.imrpowder.com under hand loaders guide (weatherby cartridges) The Nosler is just fine and the table for best bullet is www.seahook.com/bestbullet.jpg

one of us
posted Hide Post
All copper is old hat, they come apart, don't let anyone kid you about that unless they are bonded....

Bonded bullets are the latest and they work very well,an example is the great Woodleigh bullets..

My choice for any 300 is the great Nosler 200 gr. partition, I have shot a heck of a lot ot game with that bullet and it is a hammer on about everyhthing shootable..

It is the only bullet I shoot in my 300 H&H, and I shoot everything from Duikers to Eland with it and as a matter of fact one cape buffalo...I am sure the 200 gr. Northfork would do likewise and I know the 200 gr. Woodligh will also work fine...

A friend of mine kills his cape buffalo and all his other animals with his old Rem 721 in 300 H&H with 200 gr. Woodleigh softs and solids every year..I load them for him..He is older than me, had 2, 5 way bi-passes, a head operation and Lord knows what else and he is going strong..Now thats something.

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Quote:

All copper is old hat, they come apart, don't let anyone kid you about that unless they are bonded....

If they are all copper there is nothing to bond, it's all one piece. Barnes are KING! Always 2 holes, always dead.

They may not be perfect but I've never heard of the comming appart, If anything the complant is usually that they do not expand as well as some would like.

Simdow

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think there is just too much concern on the best rifle, the best caliber, the best bullet, etc. There are lots of good rifles, calibers, bullets, etc. that will very nicely get the job done.

You need to be concerned on what feels good to you, what shoots well in your rifle, shooting and knowing your rifle and getting out in the field and enjoying the hunt.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ryan, I have been working on the same problem for about 1 year with my 300WM. I had settled on 168TSX for short accurate shots (Timber Wolves ect.) and 200gr Accubonds for the longer range shots (Elk ect.). I have found the Barnes can be very accurate with RL19 but have recently decided to go with strickly the 200gr Accubond. The Barnes TSX in the lighter bullets are upset by wind much easier than the heavier Accubond, also the heavier Accubond retains a lot more ft/lbs of energy at longer range. I have taken around 15 Moose over the years I wouldn't be concerned about heavy hitting power they are actualy quite easy to put down I never had one walk more than 100yds from a single shot some hit the ground on the spot. Good Luck!

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ryan ----- My .300 Win mag really likes the North Fork 180 and 200 grain bullets and for years it shot the Nosler Partition 180 with excellent results. Two years ago I worked up a load for a buddy going to New Mexico on a high dollar Elk hunt at East Marino Ranch. He was shooting a .300 Ultra Mag. After shooting all the bullets I had on hand including Partitions, Barnes X and XLC, Swift A-Frame, North Fork, the best of the lot accuracy wise was the 200 grain North Fork going 3000 plus fps. He shot his Bull at 418 yards and got a perfect mushroom on the two bullets that hit the animal, one shot missed. You can see that bullet on www.northforkbullets.com under the 30 cal bullet category. Your .300 Wby should duplicate that load, try it you will be pleased with the accuracy of that bullet, or at any rate let you barrel tell you what it likes. Good luck and good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ryan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments fellas. 4BamBam thanks for the link to the poster.

I was orginally going to use the partition and I was looking for a reason not to... it looks like my orginal thoughts where right. Thanks.

Posts: 81 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote