New
Find
Notify
Tools

colt AR-15, 20" match barrel, 7 twist
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
To get me started on loads please give me some of all your favorite loads for this rifle. I am interested in 55-75 grain loads, expecially the sierra 69gr. hpbt. Want to get this thing to shoot .5" MOA or better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You probably won't achieve .5 MOA but will give you some good loads. None are that hot; they are middle of the road.

Use LC, WCC, or Winchester brass and match prep it: Trim to 1.750", deburr the flash holes, lightly chamfer case mouth. Use WSR or any quality small rifle primer; don't bother with magnum primers at all. Make your OAL 2.255"

69 gn SMK 22.5 gn H-335
23.5 gn - 24.5 gn Varget

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
airgun1,
Have you tried AA2230 powder?

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Colt barrel; 69 Sierra and 23.1 grains of VV 135, Fed 205 M primer and Winchester or Lapua brass COAL = 2.255" One holer for me.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
25.3 gr of Varget behind a 69 gr Matchking loaded to magazine length has shot superbly from about every AR I've tried it in.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Truth is, you'll likely have a hard time finding a BAD load with the 69 Sierra, seated to mag length.

More important than the load will be whether you have a floated handguard and your sights.

In my NM ARs, from prone slung, 69 Nosler seconds (mollied) over 23.5 of H335 will shoot cloverleafs until my eyes fatigue.

Mark

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never used any AA powders in any guns. I have used or know people who use the following in 223: W748, H322(55 gn pills and smaller), H335, RL-15, Varget, IMR 4064 for 69 gn and heavier.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4895 belongs in this group too. Perhaps not as convenient to use as Varget, it's every bit as good.

This the best piece of advice I've seen in a long while.
quote:
Truth is, you'll likely have a hard time finding a BAD load with the 69 Sierra, seated to mag length.
quote:

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
first off the rifle needs to be capable of shooting .5 MOA Then you need to work up a match grade load for it.
Free float the barrel, Tighten up the action, Install a good trigger. Single shot follower.
.5MOA is a tall order for semi autos
Then weigh your cases, bullets, and powder charges individually. Group like components together.
Then dial in the powder charge to produce good accuracy.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H4895 IMR4895 RL15 VV135 140 540 748 Varget. All should work. For primers Rem 7 1/2 CCI BR or mag Wolf sr mag or winchester. Install float tube if it dose not have. MN 4.5 lb trigger. People would be shocked if they knew how many of these NM mouse guns shoot that well of better!

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info and keep them coming, got some loads to start with here.

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckshot:
IMR 4895 belongs in this group too. Perhaps not as convenient to use as Varget, it's every bit as good.

This the best piece of advice I've seen in a long while.
quote:
quote:

Wow! I got something right? Would someone please call my wife?! dancing

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try 25.5 grains BLC-2 safe in both 55 & 69 grain bullets also 23.5 of H335 again safe in both weights .

You can work up on lighter bullets , perhaps a little work up on the heavier bullets but not as much .

Keep a eye on pressure signs !. Both powders produce excellent results in 1:7 1:8 and 1:9 twist

By using the same powder load to start with you'll be able to determine which weight and powder YOUR rifle

likes , without going from A-Z so to speak . BOL .

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote