New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington .308 B.R. Cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend gave me a couple of boxes of .308 Win. loads using Remington B.R. brass. The bullets are Sierra 168 gr. HPBT. I noticed the B.R. cases are primed with Small Rifle primers.

Question: What is the advantage of using the Small Rifle primers with this brass/load?

Thanks

Success is 99% determination.

Posts: 69 | Location: East TX | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The theory went that you wanted the least disruptive primer that would reliably ignite all the powder. Since these were meant for target loads, the SR primer was considered appropriate. I had good luck with them, accuracy wise, but had a few split necks after just 3 or 4 loadings, an unusual event for me.

Posts: 276 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Rem. URBR brass was originally offered to reloaders who needed a case to form the various wildcats used in Hunter BR and Silhouette shooting. Jim Carmichael used this brass to form the original 22 CHeetah. When used in the full 308 length, many shooters experienced ignition problems in cold weather. Many CHeetah shooters opted to use 243 brass to form their cases. You will notice that the URBR brass is annealed halfway down the body. This eased setting shoulders back and re-forming.Some of the worst 6mm BR cases I ever made were made of this brass. I use it to form the 30 Doggie which is a 308 shortened up .200"

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote