New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seating Depth and effect on velocity
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What effect will seating depth have on my velocity. I have seated out to maximum magazine length and am getting 3450 fps. What will happen to velocity if the only thing I do is to seat the bullet deeper, all else staying the same?

Posts: 94 | Location: Otisville, MI USA | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In most cases, this will result in an increased velocity. Seating the bullet deeper into the case reduces the case available volume, and the charge will burn a bit faster and reach a higher pressure. In fact, it can really bring up the pressure fast if you are near or at maximum load levels already, so be careful. On my .223 AI, seating 0.100" farther out (I had the throaght lengthened for heavier bullets) required a charge increase from 24.5 to 25.5 gr of the same powder to get the same velocity.

Posts: 46 | Location: Maple Valley, WA | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At one time I thought that there was an effect of OAL, but it turns out that if the bullet gets stuck and movement is delayed, that delay is a bigger effect than the combustion volume.
What does it all mean?
When you test with different seating depths, you must be sure that is all that is changing.
Bullets can also bulge from seating force and be too fat for the chamber.
Bullets can also get stuck in the lands.

So if the seating depth changes velocity, it is because it changed peak pressure, but maybe not just because the combustion volume changed.

--
A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote